Bike Magazine?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Luke since your bike has been a magazine you should be disqualified from the build off.
I wouldn't go that far, nothing in the rules says you can't have your bike featured in a magazine. I assume you're joking of course, but either way Pedro was built within the guidelines.

Congrats on the write up @LukeTheJoker

You realize there is now a free monthly custom bike magazine made by a forum member?

KBM has been running for 6 or 7 months now...

http://www.kustomizedbicyclemagazine.com/home-adversary/#front-page

I like the January 2016 issue, but then, I may be a little biased...

24036815831_d911763f46_c.jpg

Luke.
I've been enjoying it ever since he started doing them. Well put together/produced internet zine.

I am the editor for Kustomized Bicycle Magazine. I have also been a contributing member to RRB for quite a few years. I have never brought the magazine to RRB because I have a great deal of respect for Rat Rod and what he has created here. Since it was brought up though I am willing to throw out some information. Rat Rod is correct in saying that it is a very time consuming effort mostly when you are asking for people to work for free. But I have built a small group of friends that help me get it out on the first of every month.
People do want a print magazine. We all do but print is dying.
"MagNet is the Magazine Information Network. They are the magazine industry group that keeps all the facts and figures. In 2015 the number of paper magazines sold retail dropped another 14.2% in the first quarter. In 2014 magazine sales fell 15.6 percent overall. MagNet isn’t thinking that this will turn around. "Unfortunately, we see nothing on the horizon that provides hope that newsstand sales will have a significant turnaround in the foreseeable future," the organization said."The continued rise in social media and mobile technology use is influencing how consumers view and absorb content." (from our November issue).

RRB and KBM are to different animals in the same zoo. If you are inclined then feel free to read our magazine. I still visit RRB at least every other day and voted on the build off last night. It is without a doubt the best bike forum on the net.

I think, with a little bit of coordination, we could turn RRB-content into an awesome e-Zine. We have a lot of content, a lot of talent, and a lot of passion here. With a smidge of organization, and some begging for key members to do some features, I bet we could hammer out a bangin' quarterly e-Zine.
Bicycle808, I like that idea and completely concur. Someone would have to act as editor for final approval of each quarter's content and review for grammatical errors, etc. We could have a photography editor as well to handle the many aspects of the submissions including uniform pixel size, cropping and editing photos, etc. And if there were costs involved in establishing a site, we may want an advertising person to field the questions about ads, do some prospecting for possibilities, vendors, etc. I have previous experience with editing two bicycle related magazines, not e-zines but old school ink on paper. Both were regional in nature, covering mountain bike trail access, racing, and new product development. So, just putting it out there if anyone else thinks it's a good idea.

I still love the idea, @OddJob and I'd be willing to volunteer as an editor. I know my posts look messed up frequently, but I was an English Lit major in undergrad; I can polish pieces up nicely, when it counts. I think it'd be rad to get this going...

Well, I too would be interested in volunteering. I am easing my way out of "regular" work hours, and should have even more time in the next year or two to devote to something that would interest me and be beneficial to others. Perhaps we should start a thread based on this idea, and have some form of a group "conversation" on RRB, or develop another way to communicate, whichever seems most logical / practical.

Well, I too would be interested in volunteering. I am easing my way out of "regular" work hours, and should have even more time in the next year or two to devote to something that would interest me and be beneficial to others. Perhaps we should start a thread based on this idea, and have some form of a group "conversation" on RRB, or develop another way to communicate, whichever seems most logical / practical.

Sounds good. I work almost constantly, but the nature of my one job is such that i can find time to post on here.... or wwork on an e-zine.... if you start the thread, link it here?

I'm going to contact Steve and see if he wants "in"... and, if he doesn't want in, if he's ok with us hatching such a thing here on RRB... arguably, it could be seen as "Competition", although that certainly wouldn't be the spirit of such a thing.

The more the merrier. :happy:

I'm all for having as many different vintage and custom bike websites, magazines, etc. based on the hobby as possible.

I refuse to take much credit for what goes well here on this forum. The members are the reason that the site has had any measure of success over the past 9 years. I just basically provide the hang out spot and leave it up to everyone else to fill it with bicycle goodness.

I'm not really sure that I have any desire to start an online magazine, but I could always use help keeping the home page blog updated with stories, readers rides, etc.

You're kinda there already, with some of the threads as the articles and serial features, and a ginormouse "letters to the editor" forum. :grin:

Lovin' that Kickstand cover...[emoji16][emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yeah that issue didn't end up on top by accident :)
Another issue they interviewed me for an article about our club the Coasters and one of our members bikes had the cover and centerfold of another issue.
Too bad things went sour with the mag.

Latest posts

Back