Disc Brakes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
going to go with front and rear disc brakes on my build. I want good brakes but do not want to break the bank. I would love hydraulic but they are to costly. Any suggestions on mechanical ones. Saw some cool looking colored ones on eBay but they are from China.

Do you already have the wheels? Avid BB5 or BB7 are good mechanical disc brakes. Hydraulic are great but would be overkill on a cruiser plus they can be harder to setup

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Do not have the wheels yet, just getting a build list.
I will be using the Ruff Hard Time frame.

Skip the BB5 discs; the pads suck, the replacement options are limited, and set-up/adjustment leave much to be desired. BB7 brakes are awesome, and the price differece is minimal. BB7s allow you to run metallic pads (last longer, run cooler.... not as much bite as organic, but you save $$ on pads in the long run) and they have dials on both the inboard and outboard pad, which makes fine-tuning and adjustment a snap. BB5s eat pads quick, no metallic pad option, plus they only allow adjustment on the inboard pad.... which makes them a hassle to set up well.

I love hydraulics (I'm an MTB guy), for my last build I bought a front Avid elixr 9 on ebay for ~$20...can get decent stuff cheap if you dont mind used and slightly older models. But yes, good advice on the BB7s as well!

Second the bb7 recommendation. Should be able to get a set for $80-90 new everything but levers.

Latest posts

Back