New here and Starting my first build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
First off let me say this after lurking for a while and doing some research on the how to pages, you all are talented group. Looks like allot of different skill levels, myself being on the lower end. Soooooo I am selling my older MTB that I just cant ride any more, fractured my hip in a bike accident and it is just not that comfortable for around town (Seattle WA). Here is what I have so far and some loose plans.
Panther build, going to keep frame as is with paint original. I want to do a simi flat bike with some chrome accents. Still looking for the chain guard at a reasonable price. We have hills here in seattle so having a few gears would be nice, as this will be a rider.
My big queston is. Is there a cheaper cruiser that I could buy in all flat black, that I can buy and canablize for parts especialy the rims and rear hub handel bars etc. This is my firs build and the thought of buying a ton of loose parts is looking cost prohibitive.

Truss Forks

Last edited:
You're close to the end of the season. Check out box stores or even Toys r Us for bargain basement priced bikes. I've done this a few times. Also, if you want the original finish in semi flat, cover the whole thing with a satin clear. You have a very solid base for your project.

I'd recommend satin over flat, as well, since it makes it a lot easier to clean and tends not to fade gray (had a car with a flat black hood and trunk. Gained a real hatred for birds.). I have a WWII theme bike I used satin olive green on and it makes a big difference in ease of wiping off road chaos. The wheels—in flat black (I don't follow my own advice)—look perpetually covered in dust as a cleaning doesn't last a single ride.

good advice I think the satin will look cool, want to protect that original paint, will put up more picks when parts get here.

So this is what i have so far see picks above, looking for a cheap ebay cruiser for everything else , bars, stems, drive train, fenders painted, etc any ideas on witch newer cheap schwin bikes will fit the bill on ebay? alloy wheels are ok, dont want to buy somthing that will not work.

Another question, what is the best way to clean the frame before I top coat it with clear satin, I am thinking acetone is too strong and might ruin old paint patina.

I've never had trouble with a quick wipe of rubbing alcohol, but try it on a discrete part first. Acetone is strong stuff, I wouldn't use it for that.

Your "Panther" is not a Panther. That's a Black Phantom frame. The Panther had a straight bar frame. Phantom has cantilever like yours. Nice frame! Gary

I dont know why I get panther stuck in my head! I guess because I know what a panther looks like, a phantom on the other hand, is totaly up to interpretation :)

Yeah, that's a pretty valuable frame with the original paint still on it. I'm with you, leave the paint, it looks great. One good place to find cheap bikes are at thrift stores, goodwill, ect. I find them there all the time between 5 to 20 bucks. Heck, sometimes the tires are worth more than 20 bucks. Good luck. Great starting point with this frame too.

Naaaaaasty stuff wish I had a sand blaster

Going to make the chain guard look more like a wing Im feeling like phantoms should have wings of some sort "Winged Phantom" looks like a wing w/o paint, found a red that looks sun damaged to match frame. So red on black it is.

And

Sealed original paint and rust.

Changed the paint scheme a little.

Sun damage match paint, acitone rubed paint job, waiting for pin strip brushes in mail.

could not find my flame tape rocked it with eletrical tape. The skinny stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dose anyone know if these parts will fit my frame? wheels, fenders, drive train, head set, and handel bars. I am looking for a parts just not allot around here in seattle area. Looks like a mikes hard lemonade bike and a ugly one at that...

single piece cranks are pretty much always standard size bearing cups :thumbsup:
head set looks like the smaller size , witch mean you can fit it with a shim if it is to small , or else this is not a very expensive part:thumbsup:
wheels and crank should work fine :thumbsup:
and fenders should fit with some little adjustments:thumbsup:

:113:

Latest posts

Back