(BOTEN) "OUTLAW" ...Withdrawn from the build-off...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey KF, ya just got my brain goin', I wonder how the frame would look with the downtube parallel to the fork, from the seat to the BB?
LUKE! Whatya' think? No real reason to be a vertical tube cept' maybe ease of build...

Carl.

Carl, I think I can see what you are describing, but it while it would be radical, I really dig the lines of Luke's current mockup.

I think Carl might've been suggesting something like this...

Outlaw_FrameMod_01.jpg

I agree that Luke's current design is really cool as is, but reckon it would look cooler without the vertical tube altogether, although it would loose strength.

Outlaw_FrameMod_02.jpg

Here's Luke's current design for comparison...

17810777129_16ee07a1c8_z.jpg

Glen.

I agree that Luke's current design is really cool as is, but reckon it would look cooler without the vertical tube altogether, although it would loose strength.

Glen.

I disagree. I think the vertical tube gives it a more vintage look - like a chopper from 1911, which is also suggested by his color choices in the illustration. Personally, I'm loving it.

Wow! So many posts!
I was quite happy slumbering back there on page 2 or 3 waiting for my next update!
Just be careful having your cranks so far out in front of the downtube, you don't want you feet hitting the front wheel do you? :21:
17441599914_3b180dcefa_o.jpg

Hey KF, ya just got my brain goin', I wonder how the frame would look with the downtube parallel to the fork, from the seat to the BB?
LUKE! Whatya' think? No real reason to be a vertical tube cept' maybe ease of build...

Carl.
Carl, I think I can see what you are describing, but it while it would be radical, I really dig the lines of Luke's current mockup.
I think Carl might've been suggesting something like this...

Outlaw_FrameMod_01.jpg

Outlaw_FrameMod_02.jpg

Here's Luke's current design for comparison...

17810777129_16ee07a1c8_z.jpg

Glen.
I disagree. I think the vertical tube gives it a more vintage look - like a chopper from 1911, which is also suggested by his color choices in the illustration. Personally, I'm loving it.
Some cool ideas there!
@gowjobs nailed it though, this frame design originally started out as a 1928 Indian Scout tribute:

18065202351_7973a8e8ce_o.jpg

I am still hoping to get some of that vintage style in there with the seat, bars and colouring so that is why I left the vertical bar.
It also does need something there to mount the rear end to and also the area between it and the wheel will have the jackshaft mounted there too, which takes a fair amount of force, so it will really need the strength there.
Hey Luke, while I was searching on Imperial forks for MIGZ, I found this German bike forum (http://www.tretharley.de/phpBB/index.php?sid=2f78a4d23a8901139dfdd429b4e8be54) . Did you draw any inspiration from the bike in their banner?
You really worried me when I read this @kingfish254! I thought someone had already done the underslung/pullrod leaf fork idea! Never seen that site before, I can see the similarities in the frame though...
Sad to see that video 5 doesn't show any kangaroo crossing signs along side the road:(
:21:
They are there at 0:59, 1:20 (Blurry), 5:07 and 5:34 (also blurry) :thumbsup: You may need to slow it to 1/4 speed to see them, but I promise you, they are there!
lovin the vids! design is uber cool also can't wait to see the front end done!!!!

T
Me too! Glad you are enjoying the videos Jats!

More updates in the coming days!

Luke.

Some cool ideas there!
@gowjobs nailed it though, this frame design originally started out as a 1928 Indian Scout tribute:

18065202351_7973a8e8ce_o.jpg

I am still hoping to get some of that vintage style in there with the seat, bars and colouring so that is why I left the vertical bar.
It also does need something there to mount the rear end to and also the area between it and the wheel will have the jackshaft mounted there too, which takes a fair amount of force, so it will really need the strength there.

More updates in the coming days!

Luke.

Oh yeah, I see it now :blush:

Never mind me... now back to work :bigboss:

Glen.

I'm also gonna have to confiscate those shoes...
17441599914_3b180dcefa_o.jpg

Carl.
:21: All yours Carl!

I steered away from the Indian scout tribute as it seems there has been a lot of Indian builds done lately, I still have it on my books, with those cool whitewall 16" tires and all, but that will be down the road somewhere...

11852616874_6635d79f99_z.jpg

Luke.

I still have it on my books, with those cool whitewall 16" tires and all, but that will be down the road somewhere...

11852616874_6635d79f99_z.jpg

Luke.

I'll be waiting and then watching!

Sad to see that video 5 doesn't show any kangaroo crossing signs along side the road:(
:21:
They are there at 0:59, 1:20 (Blurry), 5:07 and 5:34 (also blurry) :thumbsup: You may need to slow it to 1/4 speed to see them, but I promise you, they are there!
Went through and tried to save stills from the Youtube video for you, but the 16x speed makes that really hard, so here are stills from the original videos for you:

0:59
18078967035_9969c82772_z.jpg

1:20
18052481856_6d6fb4d072_z.jpg

5:07
17891264120_1a3baab63e_z.jpg

5:34
18052481706_90fdb6a9e0_z.jpg

Luke.

What happens if you cut the shape out of one whole flat plate metal plate the thickest you can get? And then just weld into the rim.

What happens if you cut the shape out of one whole flat plate metal plate the thickest you can get? And then just weld into the rim.
I thought about that, but weight would be an issue...
I have another build planned out with polished laser cut aluminium discs inserted into the wheels... :) But need to decide if I want to spend the money to make that happen...

Luke.

I think that the wheels will look good even just with the five spokes…

Outlaw_Wheels.jpg

But adding the cross pieces as you suggested is also a great idea to reduce the amount of welding you'll need to do.

Either way, it's gonna look awesome. It has a very "Arlen Ness" feel to it. :113:

Glen.

I like the oval shaped steel for the five spokes , why kill your self welding the moto mag style in so many sections . The only other thing if you really wanted the moto mag look is to have the centers lazor or water jet cut for the entire wheel .

I think the 5 spoke wheel looks good with the design,but I totally understand the desire to do a motomag style.
That said if you go motomag I'd just cut out the X bit and weld it in,should give you the look you're going for and save weight.

I thought about that, but weight would be an issue...
I have another build planned out with polished laser cut aluminium discs inserted into the wheels... :) But need to decide if I want to spend the money to make that happen...

Luke.
:39: If you were going to weld that amount of mag strips in the center ,wouldn't it be the same? If the plate was 1 cm thick.Should be enough to hold the weight as you are using a steel wheel.
I know laser cutting would be the bomb.But you could do it with a angle grinder.:113: And a jigsaw.
Also there is this fab tool now.
rot5452004200040.jpg

I know you could do it.;)
Being solid metal,not alloy would make it stronger.
Just weld it into the rim and hub.
1_copy198_blowup.jpg

Practice on the lid of a 44 gallon drum.:crazy2::D

Latest posts

Back