Build or Part Out

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I bought a minty Schwinn Le Tour II the other day. Absolutely no rust whatsoever. Just dust and grease all over.
0d9cd520269c93e1dc649fb676d71235.jpg

My question as far as resale value is should I fix it up to resell it as is. Needs new tires and a new cable set. Or should I strip it for parts and put them on a boys bike.

I've seen where people are making Mixtes out of these. And I like the urban look of those. Just curious on what would be the most likely to sell.
Something like this:

a6189ef2fb30ca90062b8da1835888b5.jpg

ec2129fcfa44539250de43d58f331d0a.jpg

I can't answer that question for your area but for mine, they're worthless and not worth my time or money to repair one for resale ! I have given away a bunch of light weights to the needy in the area though .
Mark

Ehh from what I've seen so far around here, the nicer stuff sells faster. In the past when I've sold bikes locally no one had a problem stepping up to a higher price range for nicer bikes.

Are you in this for the Hobby, or the Money ?
I regret selling any bike I have had like that one, at least until I have had a chance to build it ,ride it, Play around and then maybe sell it. But usually I break even.
To me it is an easy one to play around with. Its not a damaged rustbucket missing parts.
You took the time to post pictures of what you like. So obviously you do like it a bit.
You know what you want to do. Go for it.
Me I am in this for fun. Its all entertainment for me as I build it or even just adjust it and ride it. The feel of every bike. Even if I lose a little money its was all worth it. That's just me. What about you?
Are you in this for the Hobby, or the Money?
My advice is Enjoy it. Maybe sell it someday.

In some markets, a Panasonic-built Schwinn mixte can get some decent money-- a few years back, that'd be an easy $100 on CL in Philly, if the tires are pumped up, and you got everything clean and working. Seems like the mixte craze is dying out a bit, but it'd still sell in my market. From what i've heard online, there are markets where they're pretty much worthless.

If you intend to sell it, just clean it and tune it, and replace only worn bits like tubes, tires, brake pads. You could pretty it up like some of the other pics you posted, but doing so will cut into your investment-to-return ratio in a detrimental way. Most folks who want a vintage bike will prefer it original, or to do their own custom touches-- at the very least, they don't want to pay a premium for whatever a previous owner thought looked cool.

Yes, it looks minty, and that's a good thing, but the LeTour was the bottom-tier import Schwinn of that era. The mixte frame style is a plus in some markets, and a minus in most others. You won't make a lot of money on that bike. If you want to build it to ride, do whatever you like with it. If you want to flip it for profit, less "work" is more, profit-wise. If you want to part it out for use on a diamond frame model, i guess that makes sense, if you have a frame that needs and takes the parts from your mixte. If you don't have a bare frame in need, that would seem pointless IMO.

Depends on your market. With tires I could sell that for $130-160 here.
As it sits, I could get about $80 for it as a fixer upper.

Beautiful Chicago mens Schwinn road bikes here are selling at the local bike co-op for $100 to $125. Nice women's Le Tours asking price is $40. I think they are worth more. The Women's at a flea market didn't sell all summer and are still there. The mens have been selling slowly this winter and they are down to one or two. The bike co-op did a nice job fixing these up, they should sell them on the net and get some profit out of it.

it helps that I am in a town with an college that is spread throughout the city. These are perfect for college girls.

Older people around my area love these bikes because their not heavy and easy to get on and off of. With new tires and cables and cruiser style bars, I would get about 120 for them.

Latest posts

Back