Lets see your winter bike.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two days ago it got to 33F and the salt reacted with the hard packed snow and made mush. I went for a ride but only went 2 miles as the going was hard and I had to get off and occasionally push. Yesterday there was a minor blizzard with too much snow to ride. Right now it is -15F with a wind chill of -34F. Its snowing sideways. Stationary velo machine weather until they plow. I can't coax the dogs out into their fenced run unless I go out with them.

Yeah, this week is looking NASTY. I believe it's Thursday that we are scheduled to have -40 to -45 windchill ... that is insane. And I have to work that night, so I'll get to enjoy it :). We're looking at about 6 inches of snow over the last 48 hours, so combine that with the cold weather moving in, and winter is kicking in real fast.

we had an earth quake in irving, texas
how's that for winter time
it was above 40 degrees here, i went for a short ride around the neighborhood down to the locoal dav thrift store
tomorrow will be like 38 degrees

I went for a slow 3 hour bike ride today. 90% hard packed snow with a few short stretches of ice, 10% bare pavement. The sidewalks and bike path are plowed so there is very little loose snow. It was -12F, a little warmer than it has been and the winds are down so I decided to take advantage as there is going to be quite a few days of snow starting tomorrow. I have been using a different brand of chemical hand and toe warmers than I have been as they old brands didn't have enough heat in them anymore. I emailed two companies last year to complain about their cheap Chinese chemical warmers that didn't put out the heat they used to. I have been using Yaktrax and they work OK. I stayed toasty warm, got all sweaty in fact.

My Winter Bike is the Ugliest Cheapest Fully Functional Bike that I can find. I spray it down with a lot of Lube everywhere just before snow and ride it around to make sure it works fine, just befor the snow. I put on a Shot Comfortable seat. and keep it outside. With plastic over it.
This bike cost me 3.00 at a yard sale and it works. I would never use one of my Older Rat Bikes. Even though they have a lot of rust on them already. I have a special place for them.. Inside all winter..:thumbsup:

In Tucson, winter riding just means a little less perspiration.

I like how it's almost the opposite for me here up north. When we're talking -20, we're talking the sweatiest time of the year for me. I'm guessing it's because of the windproof outer layers I have on. I know there are people out there that strive to find material that is both breathable and windproof, but I don't really care. If I can get from Point A to Point B and I can get there warm, I'm okay.

I like how it's almost the opposite for me here up north. When we're talking -20, we're talking the sweatiest time of the year for me. I'm guessing it's because of the windproof outer layers I have on. I know there are people out there that strive to find material that is both breathable and windproof, but I don't really care. If I can get from Point A to Point B and I can get there warm, I'm okay.
me to

Talk about sweat. It has been unridable outside because it has been warm, in the teens and 20s and there hasn't been much snow for a week. This means that the city can rest on their snow removal laurels and not plow. Everyone just drives over the light new snow and it mixes with the old salt/sand/snow to make a rutted, deep, slippery mush. Can't ride in that so I have been riding my stationary bike by the wood stove while I listen to Spotify. I ride in shorts and without a wind to cool you the sweat splashes all over the bike and floor. I use a towel to absorb it. Phew, nothing like 69 year old man sweat. My wife shuts the door, which makes it even hotter by the stove. I go outside with the velo for a cool down ride. Not too bad in 20F weather but your torso gets cold from sweat evaporation and your legs and head are still warm. About 5 minutes will stop most of the the sweating. It was snowing and windy while I had my cool down today. My left knee was crushed 38 years ago and is made out of hardware and bone graphs so I can't bend it all the way straight and can only bend it to a little less than 90 degrees. That is why the seat is a little low for a road bike. 15 years ago I had emergency back surgery and my left leg is now numb and lacks reflexes. I get steroid injections in my spine about once a year and the occasional microwave burning of some spinal nerves when biking becomes a little too painful. Biking is what keeps me going, that and daily stretching and ignoring pain. My advice, keep active. If you let yourself go in middle age you can pretty much forget about doing physical stuff when you get old. Also, avoid getting old at all costs.

Last edited:
For those "Hardcore" Bikers that wont ride below 30 degrees...

[It was 10 or less tonight!]
cold_zps5tek1nmb.jpg

So tell me you actually rode this bike this day to where it is and this is not a staged photo. I believe you do ride in winter zombie rather than some pictures of bikes that are sitting outside in the snow.
Hey, You switched the headlight and added a mud flap.

So tell me you actually rode this bike this day to where it is and this is not a staged photo. I believe you do ride in winter zombie rather than some pictures of bikes that are sitting outside in the snow.
Hey, You switched the headlight and added a mud flap.

Keen eye, Bud!
I couldnt seat the copper temporary header a second time without tools Im not in the company of, so I took the header off my Tortoise [69 Otasco] and popped it on the front for a Beer Run light. I mentioned to a few folks before I see a friend of mine usually every Friday at his place for drinks on the other side of town., I often begin my journey after 4 pm there, and around 10 pm coming back.
[and with the rear hub out on the Otasco right now it didnt serve a purpose there.]

This photo was taken on Kenyon Street, Providence R.I.
Its about three miles from my Apartment on Chalkstone.
about 5:30 pm.
I dont often ride in the cold, but when I do, I ride Columbia. :dance2:

ps. Info on the New Flap to be posted soon.

Talk about sweat. It has been unridable outside because it has been warm, in the teens and 20s and there hasn't been much snow for a week. This means that the city can rest on their snow removal laurels and not plow. Everyone just drives over the light new snow and it mixes with the old salt/sand/snow to make a rutted, deep, slippery mush. Can't ride in that so I have been riding my stationary bike by the wood stove while I listen to Spotify. I ride in shorts and without a wind to cool you the sweat splashes all over the bike and floor. I use a towel to absorb it. Phew, nothing like 69 year old man sweat. My wife shuts the door, which makes it even hotter by the stove. I go outside with the velo for a cool down ride. Not too bad in 20F weather but your torso gets cold from sweat evaporation and your legs and head are still warm. About 5 minutes will stop most of the the sweating. It was snowing and windy while I had my cool down today. My left knee was crushed 38 years ago and is made out of hardware and bone graphs so I can't bend it all the way straight and can only bend it to a little less than 90 degrees. That is why the seat is a little low for a road bike. 15 years ago I had emergency back surgery and my left leg is now numb and lacks reflexes. I get steroid injections in my spine about once a year and the occasional microwave burning of some spinal nerves when biking becomes a little too painful. Biking is what keeps me going, that and daily stretching and ignoring pain. My advice, keep active. If you let yourself go in middle age you can pretty much forget about doing physical stuff when you get old. Also, avoid getting old at all costs.

It seems to me that our temperatures are always around 10 degrees warmer than yours are; we spent most of last week in the 20's and 30's. All it takes is a sunny day and at least 20 degrees, and whatever is on the road starts melting off. We've been enjoying clear streets for a while now.

I almost feel like the antithesis of this thread, and don't get me wrong, I do love a good snow ride, but as a commuter, I *LOVE* the fact that this has been such a warm and snow-free winter. That said, we're dipping down into the negative degrees soon here, and there's at least one full month of winter left, so we'll see how it goes.

What tires do you use in winter. I usually ride road tred most of the year and knobby tires in winter. But still in soft snow they slide around. I see the tires with screws in them, But I only see a benefit on ice. But I do see a benefit for soft snow or for slush. Let me know if I am wrong. Any input on what best winter tires are? Something that you have actually used and had experience with.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back