1935 shelby built. (pretty much DONE)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this bike a couple weeks ago from some kid that knew nothing about it I asked him the year and make he replied "idk its just an old beach cruiser" well I didn't know what make or year it was either but I had to know so I drove to the middle of LA handed the kid the 40 bucks he was VERY firm at haha and drove home and posted it on the I.D thread and was told it was a 1940-41 Shelby built I started researching a bit more and found that a 1940-41 Shelby built frame doesn't look quite the same as this one and then I came across a another thread on here with a bike that looked identical tho this one and it was said to be a 1935-37. the bike was in pretty rough shape but nothing too serious as you can see but here is some of the progress ive made so far. let me know what you think.

after learning how to bondo on the spot, then sanding then sanding more then sanding a little more I put 2 coats of primer and shes lookin sharp

back wheel needs some cleaning and a few spokes

got the front wheel ready to go tho

ive never worked on these forks before, does anyone know how to adjust them? ive been trying but they still have play and im not digging it

I painted the fenders with truck bedliner gave it a little flake of the antique brass then clear coated it and it looks pretty good and is pretty durable

here is the plate it came with

You made some nice progress, I like your call on the gold and black combo too.
I think you'll always have a bit of play in that style of fork. As you're experimenting add some washers and maybe nylock nuts on the top leg bolts and then just keep adjusting the spring tension nuts as best you can.

I call DIBS if it ever comes time to sell the frame and fork.;)

Great bike and build!!!
Nice work!

You made some nice progress, I like your call on the gold and black combo too.
I think you'll always have a bit of play in that style of fork. As you're experimenting add some washers and maybe nylock nuts on the top leg bolts and then just keep adjusting the spring tension nuts as best you can.

I call DIBS if it ever comes time to sell the frame and fork.;)
Thank you for the feed back, Ya I was thinking of putting washers but wasn't sure if I was just missing something in the way I was adjusting the springs but now I know thank you!

$40 dollars.. jeepers. where are these finds?!
If you ever want to part with the license,Id be ABSOLUTELY interested, as an Arizona Native, myself. [Prescott Born]

Gorgeous Bike, nice work, killer find.:rockout:

Thank
$40 dollars.. jeepers. where are these finds?!
If you ever want to part with the license,Id be ABSOLUTELY interested, as an Arizona Native, myself. [Prescott Born]

Gorgeous Bike, nice work, killer find.:rockout:
thank you! Im actually going to make a T-bar and mount the plate on the back fender

after building my plate mount I decided I wanted a laid back seat post

started with a 1/2 by 12 nipple (i had already cut the threads off in the pic)
it was a little to big so i took a flapper wheel to it and it slit in pretty well

first time using my harbor freight pipe bender and first time making a seat post

the original post tapered to fit in the seat guts and i had a pair of steering leavers, from a green machine i shopped up to make a drift trike a few moths ago, and it fit perfectly

i added some round bar for extra support

i might have to trim it to sit a little closer to the bars but i am going to wait until i get in rolling and can actually sit on it

Last edited:
the back fender gave me so many issues today finally got it to fit right

getting closer to being done but everything is taking a lot longer than I expect because Im never happy how anything fits the first time haha im still not satisfied with the seat post once I have the bike all together I think im going to redo it

Last edited:
Hey, I really Like the work you've been doing with it., and looking now, You couldn't sell the plate to me, it just slams with the whole bike!
You mounted it very cleanly, the brace looks right.. Its really coming together and with some good detail.

[Dont forget to go to Bike Talk and post photos of accessories like your license over on some of the threads for that., there's one specifically for licenses I think too! one for fendered bikes as a whole.. etc..etc.. theres a lot of neat places to share your finished product, or even a few of its Charms~ Glad you like posting, we sure like to see it!]

Zombie

Latest posts

Back