Sky Ray - the Atomic Space Age

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I picked this early 60's odd ball as part of a 4 bike deal. The deal was buy all 4 for 400 or none at all. Three classic prewar gems, and yes...the SKY RAY.

This is the condition as I picked it up.

These are the previously mentioned 4 bikes. Notice the ugly duckling in the back.

At a closer look, this bike has a few interesting features. Maybe there is something that can be done.

Nice clap trap. Who knows what may have been in its clutches.

This giant chain guard has potential after the dents are pounded out.

The rack has a cool rocket shape.

Nice one! Made by Ross, I believe the serial number starts with an "R" and the next digit(s) is the year it was made. I've never seen a front rack like that one.

Thanks Wildcat, I will have to take a photo of the S#. Any information on this one would be appreciated.

You got dealt a real nice hand on that 4 bike package!
Awesome potential on this little rod and your Schwinn looks a lot like my intentionally rusted '55 Wasp.
I'll be watching this build up.
TheHideoutandBatavus016_zps709a5924.jpg

I first picked up a Murray tank on ebay. My intention was to paint it with some sort of graphic (see blasted photo above) to finish off the look. Later I came across a Ross tank with the signature rocket ship graphic. I believe this may have been original equipment to the Sky Ray Super Deluxe.

I have not decided on the final colors to paint the frame yet. I may leave the tank as is, or I may tape off the graphics and paint top & bottom to match. We shall see.

The micro-beads used in "bead-blasting" are a different (and more uniform) size, shape and density than the silica normally used for sand-blasting. This not only makes them somewhat more gentle on the substrate being stripped, but also leaves it with a smoother, more uniform satin finish that is often the final goal when bead-blasting aluminum or stainless parts. Other, less aggressive forms of media-blasting involve using baking soda, walnut shells or other substances as the abrasive medium.

I really like that front rack. What is it called? What other bikes did it come on. I would love to find one of those for one of my bikes. I like the flow of it.
Great Project you have going here. It will be nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd take that tank over to a vinyl graphics guy and have some new ones made up. New paint, new clean graphics, in white OR in any color that goes with your new paint. Very cool. Many sign co's do that type of work now.

Carl.

I really like that front rack. What is it called? What other bikes did it come on. I would love to find one of those for one of my bikes. I like the flow of it.
Great Project you have going here. It will be nice.

Thanks, the front rack seems to be prevalent on the early 60's middle-wieghts. Must have been perfect for toting the baseball glove.

I'd take that tank over to a vinyl graphics guy and have some new ones made up. New paint, new clean graphics, in white OR in any color that goes with your new paint. Very cool. Many sign co's do that type of work now.
Carl.
That's a great idea, but I may go on the cheap on this one. Do you have any idea what something like that may cost?

Latest posts

Back