(WBO) Super - Sonic......1957 Chevy parts....finished, finished,, FINISHED!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks all, I need make the top plate for the Springer sometime this weekend.

O.K. I am done with the chain guard. After painting, sanding to give the worn effect, then using the torch smoke to add some aging, I cleared it over with satin to keep the finish dull. I am not totally happy with it, but it'll work I guess.

IMG_1190.JPG

IMG_1191.JPG

IMG_11931.JPG

You say you are not artistic, but you made the stencils? how, on your computer? plese tell us in a "how to". I would like to put graphics on my builds too!
And an awesome looking build!:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Thanks horsefarmer, in my best caveman technique.........I first found the graphics that I wanted and printed them from the pictures. Then I took them to the copier to enlarge or shrink them so they would best fit the area that I was working on. When I was satisfied with the size (make multiple copies!) I then sat down with an exacto knife at the table with some sheets of construction paper under my work to protect the table and proceeded to cut out the areas that I wanted to paint through. According to the graphic, this will be a long tedious job, and you will have to be very careful in thin areas. I intentionally left some areas thicker to keep from tearing through between open areas. Finally, I used a damp cloth to moisten the area that I wanted the stencil on, then when I had the stencil positioned I gently tapped the area with a dry cloth. Paint fairly quickly because the stencil will not stay adhered to the metal as it dries. I imagine that someone on here has figured out a better way to do this than I have.

Thanks horsefarmer, in my best caveman technique.........I first found the graphics that I wanted and printed them from the pictures. Then I took them to the copier to enlarge or shrink them so they would best fit the area that I was working on. When I was satisfied with the size (make multiple copies!) I then sat down with an exacto knife at the table with some sheets of construction paper under my work to protect the table and proceeded to cut out the areas that I wanted to paint through. According to the graphic, this will be a long tedious job, and you will have to be very careful in thin areas. I intentionally left some areas thicker to keep from tearing through between open areas. Finally, I used a damp cloth to moisten the area that I wanted the stencil on, then when I had the stencil positioned I gently tapped the area with a dry cloth. Paint fairly quickly because the stencil will not stay adhered to the metal as it dries. I imagine that someone on here has figured out a better way to do this than I have.
So just dampen the metal and the moisture keeps the stencil/mask (standard copy machine paper) in place why you spray. Thanks have to try it. :)

a light tacky stencil spray would work, it wil not be permanent
try the sticker paper for printer as it not prmanent

See, I knew someone would have some improvements on my technique. Thanks patman!

I thought about sticker or even contact paper... but over new paint I'd be leary of anything with adhesive. I like the wet paper trick...

Carl.

Another little tip, (especially if you are going clear over it when you are done) it is fairly easy to fold an edge on some 600 or 800 sandpaper and "clean up" the edges of your graphic before hitting it with the clear.

I think that it is time for more inspirational music, I have slowed down to much on this build.

wet paper plus fresh pain sound like a disaster to me , but if it worked for you then cool
i think the paint would run if the suface was wet

O.K. it seems like I am falling behind on this build........... wait, it's only just over two weeks into the build off! Lots of great builds already done or nearly done, Wow! Anyway, I finished the top plate for my springer.

IMG_12061.JPG

IMG_1207.JPG

One final mockup before I completely disassemble and begin the greasing and assembly to make this a smooth rider. I had to set the chain guard a little higher that I wanted to, but I didn't want to modify the bottom line of the chain guard, or set the top line too far off level.

IMG_1204.JPG

I still have to figure out how I am mounting the seat, inserting the rocket panels and tail light into the rear rack, and the final fitting of the handlebars before I weld them up. But, I can do all of that with the rest of the bike assembled.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot to include the fact that this bike had to have a star chain ring! I went with the ladies 44 tooth. The original Schwinn was a 46 I believe, but high gear with the red 2 speed hub was pretty tall. And the new rear tire is a bit taller than the original also.

Take your time! This build is turning out great. I may be entering myself with a worksman motorized build. I'm just waiting on finishing a move into a new house, but yeah plenty of time on this one.

I like the tank , I didn't catch that we are using the same one for our builds

It's O.K., I doubt that anyone will confuse mine for yours or visa-versa! Both should be cool..... but different!

Latest posts

Back