EBAY Bid Fell Through

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Last month I won a bid for a Schwinn (branded with "Excelsior") straight bar tank for my 1950 D19.
A couple of days later the seller tells me that his pay-pal account is messed up and that he will refund
my money. So he wouldn't be able to ship it to me and instead encouraged me to pick it up. I'm in
Arkansas, the seller is in California. My bank account shows the draft for the amount. Doesn't make much sense ?

Is this a scam that is out there ?

I have asked the seller repeatedly about my refund. Still waiting on a response. I like to think that something
honest has occured but itis starting to seem strange.

Any suggestions ?
Thanks.

If he issued a refund, it would go back to your paypal account almost immediately. You need to initiate a report through paypal immediately, as it takes a while for them to "investigate" but you'll get your money. Also save your ebay interactions with the seller, and call ebay and let them know what has occured.

I would file a claim with ebay.
Yeah, I did that. I realized as I was posting this that I should look into that through ebay. They have responded..and so I am waiting to hear about my refund. The seller, does , have some bad reviews about not fulfilling ebay transactions. Learned my lesson there. It's sad that there are people out there pulling this kind of crap. No reason for it.

Learned the same lesson on e-bay. Still buy on there regularly but check seller rating first. I don't do business with anyone with a rating less than 97%. Do leave neg. feedback once your money is resolved. Hope things workout in your favor.

Last month I won a bid for a Schwinn (branded with "Excelsior") straight bar tank for my 1950 D19.
A couple of days later the seller tells me that his pay-pal account is messed up and that he will refund
my money. So he wouldn't be able to ship it to me and instead encouraged me to pick it up. I'm in
Arkansas, the seller is in California. My bank account shows the draft for the amount. Doesn't make much sense ?

Is this a scam that is out there ?

I have asked the seller repeatedly about my refund. Still waiting on a response. I like to think that something
honest has occured but itis starting to seem strange.

Any suggestions ?
Thanks.
Man...that does not sound good. I would call the sheriff's office in that town and ask him for help? Who knows ? Call ebay right away !

Sounds like BS, why would he be unable to ship due to a Paypal issue? I bet he got offered more money for it (or just didn't get as high of a bid as he wanted) so he's making up a BS story to try to get out of the deal. You'll get your money back, eBay is good about that, but you won't get your part, which sucks. After eBay resolves the issue, give the guy a negative feedback. It really does help.

You should get your money back. The one problem with the eBay resolution center is that after it is resolved you don't have an option of leaving any feedback at all. This has happened with me with deadbeat bidders.

I'm trying to picture a situation where he puts a box up on the counter at the Post Office or UPS, and the clerk says "Sir, I'm sorry, but we cannot ship this package....you see, there's a problem with your PayPal account....." :rolleyes:

My experience with PP refunds is, they go thru QUICK. As in, definitely by the next business day. It seems apparent that dude is lying, and he's trying to be stealing, too. I'd get eBay to handle it ASAFP. It'll be a shame if you won't be able to leave him the negative feedback that he deserves, but most important part is getting your $$$ back where it belongs.

Sounds like BS, why would he be unable to ship due to a Paypal issue? I bet he got offered more money for it (or just didn't get as high of a bid as he wanted) so he's making up a BS story to try to get out of the deal. You'll get your money back, eBay is good about that, but you won't get your part, which sucks. After eBay resolves the issue, give the guy a negative feedback. It really does help.
I'm trying to picture a situation where he puts a box up on the counter at the Post Office or UPS, and the clerk says "Sir, I'm sorry, but we cannot ship this package....you see, there's a problem with your PayPal account....." :rolleyes:

My experience with PP refunds is, they go thru QUICK. As in, definitely by the next business day. It seems apparent that dude is lying, and he's trying to be stealing, too. I'd get eBay to handle it ASAFP. It'll be a shame if you won't be able to leave him the negative feedback that he deserves, but most important part is getting your $$$ back where it belongs.

I have placed a negative feedback and commented on this guy(Schyster) like others have on his ebay page...but he also has some good feedbacks as well....Unh ?
Waiting to hear from ebay about the refund.

I really needed that tank. All it needed was a repaint and horn. No rust.
Oh well live and learn.

Are you saying that his ebay user name is "Schyster"? If so, that should be one big red flag. :D

There are two sides to every story. Rather than freak out. Make sure there is not some problem that is out of sellers control. If you really want the bike. MAYBE this will work itself out and you will get the bike delivered to your door.
I have no Idea but just hoping best for you on this .
Keep communicating with Ebay. Paypal and especially the Seller.

Just got a message from EBAY and one from Pay-Pal that I will be getting a refund. The seller did send me a message saying that he had been out of town
and didn't know of my issue with the refund...Unh ? Maybe so ? He has received a couple more negative ratings since then. If someone has items to sell on ebay and a deal is made , that person should be prepared to follow through. It's that simple. Learned my lesson here.

Latest posts

Back