BEST FINDS 2014

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flying Zombie

~:Undead Forever:~
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So comes the end of another year, collecting our prizes for Diligent efforts to search.
I found two prior years someone made this thread, and was surprised no one had made one for this year by now!

What were your best finds in 2014?

[Mine are both of my bikes, given they are the start of my collection.]

1939 Columbia Westfield
GoodSide_zpsaa8ab36d.jpg

1969 Otasco Badged Murray [my foot in the door]
20141010_180300_zpse750a91c.jpg

FZ

Found at a local flea market for $15 and ended up on the cover of the 2015 RRB calendar (which cost more than the bike after shipping)! :D
656-1388528399-00b4e470547627971549ac7ac797914f.jpg

Last edited:
I bought some cool parts, but only a couple of complete bikes. So, I thought I'd post one part and one bike that I got this year that I found particularly full of win. Early this year I bought this very cool and unusual scooter that has a push-down drive mechanism. I have no idea if it's old, or just built to look old.
IMG_2212_zps3dd8757f.jpg

Not too long ago, I won this 1948 Harley Davidson Hummer "rubber band" fork on ebay. It's going on my winter build off bike.
IMG_2961_zps4f1c350e.jpg

I bought some cool parts, but only a couple of complete bikes. So, I thought I'd post one part and one bike that I got this year that I found particularly full of win. Early this year I bought this very cool and unusual scooter that has a push-down drive mechanism. I have no idea if it's old, or just built to look old.
IMG_2212_zps3dd8757f.jpg

Not too long ago, I won this 1948 Harley Davidson Hummer "rubber band" fork on ebay. It's going on my winter build off bike.
IMG_2961_zps4f1c350e.jpg

Nice fork never seen one how much does something like that go for?

For me, the first, was the one that prompted me to join the site.

A 65 or 66 Western Flyer HiLo. Bike breaks apart amd fits in the trunk of my dart perfectly, with tons of room to spare. Dad gave it to me, he found it on its way to the thrift store.

Nex was a 68 slick chick I picked up. Still have yet to look for parts to do something with it.

The same week I picked up a Roller with a motor for cheap. Scored, rode and broke out the dropout playing, while building it for mbbo...

A month or so later got a rollfast delivery, also yet to do something with it.

Found a cheap greenline I keiffed the springer from for my mbbo build.

Then I found a frame to replace my mbbo frame that I broke dropouts on.

And finally, my favorite find of the year, hopefully my winter build bike. 52 Indian Scout.

I only picked up a few.. These were my favorites...

An NOS 5 speed Chopper frame.

TjYNnFh.jpg

A ratty MK2 Chopper

adQll4z.jpg

69 MK1 tall frame Chopper

WY704ns.jpg

I also picked up another 69 tall frame, black & orange, but I didn't take any pix. I tore it down shortly after I got it. I plan on restoring it because it matches my 70 HBR MK1, 5 speed (below).

jsFxDVA.jpg

Best Barn, Garage or other means!~ What have you got? The year draws nearer to a close and some of you are still pulling out beauties!

FZ

CL find... he knew what he had, so no $15 scores, but will keep me well stocked on build material for a while :)

51ce2f31-a67b-4972-83c3-83c7a81fec7d.jpg

39 DX; 2 40-41 DX's; 47 Fat Bar; 2 48 DX's.

and finally talked daddy out of his '38 model C shorty.
IMG_20140902_185150.jpg
Great Haul Matt!

FZ

My '64 Sears Spaceliner. 100% original just waiting for a bezel to put my tank on.
Before:

After:

And my '46 CWC I picked up from Bri-in-RI and pieced together at the swap meet with the NERRB crew.

Best finds of 2014?

A LBS at Cedar Point that will sell me parts without being snobbish about it, and who greet my plans of an eventual homebuilt Recumbent with "I used to have some blueprints for some of those-come back tomorrow and pick 'em up!" :dance2:

This Forum, which gave me the tools, the knowledge and-most importantly-the courage to start wrenching my own stuff and dreaming of custom frames. Seriously, I owe you folks.

It was another fun bike hoarding year for me. Here are my highlights.

Harley Cranks on a 1918 Davis
index.php

1936 Silver King
SOLD
index.php

Elgin Twin Bar Frame
Became VerBoten in BO10
index.php

Wicked red glitter nanner
Used on SaltHammer in BO11
index.php

Wheel Bell