Fake skip tooth?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a search but did not see anything, Has anyone filed off every other tooth just for the look? I was thinking about it for my build. It would run a regular chain and rear sprocket but the front would look the part.

I was going to run it without a chainguard so the front sprocket is what would be important to me. I think I'll just go for it, I can always find another one if I don't like it.

That would have been something that I would figure out........... too late!

Actually this doesn't work....a "regular" chain is 1/2" pitch. Even though a skiptooth chain is called a 1" pitch, the links are actually .60 for the inner and .40 for the outer sections to make the full 1" between centers.
It may work on a rear sprocket if the sprocket is really worn though.
Removing every other tooth just to get the "look" with a modern sprocket and chain should work, though.

Thanks for the info, CeeBee!

CeeBee,

Gonna have to agree to disagree with you about this. The spacing you mention may be correct, but the fact is that it will work with a skip tooth chain. I have over 100 miles on my '36 LWB Colson that runs a Skip tooth with a rear sprocket that I took to the grinder to shave off every other tooth. It runs fine and even after all those miles I have not had to adjust the chain. I set it a touch on the loose side when I built it so that may have something to do with it, but I think the fact the teeth on a non skip sprocket are actually thinner from a profile view (less wide) than those of a skip tooth, tooth.

Just my personal experience and yours may vary!

Joe

Actually this doesn't work....a "regular" chain is 1/2" pitch. Even though a skiptooth chain is called a 1" pitch, the links are actually .60 for the inner and .40 for the outer sections to make the full 1" between centers.
It may work on a rear sprocket if the sprocket is really worn though.
Removing every other tooth just to get the "look" with a modern sprocket and chain should work, though.

I think you guys missed the part in the post where he said he's just going to run a regular chain. So it will work

I think you guys missed the part in the post where he said he's just going to run a regular chain. So it will work

It's a thread heist. ;) They are just having a theoretical discussion concerning a slightly different scenario.

The only problem I had was The HUGE can of wor...Ideas it opened up, when I did it [ shaved off rear sprocket teeth] My wife walks into the garage , sees me staring at all my sprockets laid out " Oh Talking to you're friends again"....:grin::rolleyes::confused:

Haha, that's funny... now I've seen front sprockets that are already like that, usually the bigger one on a multi speed pair. Maybe it helps with the derailleur pickup...

Carl. :android:

Well there was an even amount of teeth so I put my die grinder to it.

5M8gHW5.jpg

Felt offered a cruiser bike a few years back with a modern skip tooth chainring.

Look up my old bike "The Bootlegger" I ground every other tooth off to give the skip-tooth look and used a standard chain. never had a problem.

Many options here....the only real requirement is EVEN # of teeth on the sprockets....Front or back. I tend to modify rear sprockets and run orig. skippy fronts with skip-chains.
I don't know why anyone would try to run a std 1/2" chain on a skip sprocket to start with except for the price and availability of the chain!?!?!?o_O

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back