The Rail 7

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
use a plastic kiddie pool for bike soaking!
That's one plan brother, gonna check out Walmart over the weekend. Got a fresh can of Bartender's Friend (oxalic acid) waiting. Got a quote of $60 today to sandblast it though.....hmmm
It is worth the cost over soaking, wire wheeling, grinding....it is chrome afterall, blasting would ensure paint adhesion? More to sleep on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's one plan brother, gonna check out Walmart over the weekend. Got a fresh can of Bartender's Friend (oxalic acid) waiting. Got a quote of $60 today to sandblast it though.....hmmm
It is worth the cost over soaking, wire wheeling, grinding....it is chrome afterall, blasting would ensure paint adhesion? More to sleep on.

good luck on the build !

Go back and look at my inspiration bikes, both have low front ends, the Columbia even has a low triple tree.........I'm torn on this, maybe something in the middle? Gonna sleep on it...

I hear ya buddy, roll with the vision in your head!

Hmmmmmmmmm....longer chopper forks, let me marinate on that a bit.....
Maybe if I raised them enough to get the chainstays parallel to the ground.......

I think that would be a perfect height. Put it up stupid high and then bring it down to something cool. Easy to play with the look... Loosen & tighten....lol

Played around a little the '7' today.
First, I got the front wheel tightened down, then I mounted the Long John seat. Played around with using an old '7' seatpost (see the connection?) to try to get a little more legroom.Gotta love that sissy bar!
55416456668bd67194c71ed737b22f84.jpg

ad740621c817ebef5d3843eec951a9ac.jpg

Next, I played around with the fork length. I lengthened them until the chainstays were parallel to the ground.
c70e37dfabf59af0199168e068370b51.jpg

The lower tape line was the original height, upper line is 6 3/4" longer.
d2fec17db4ecc861fdbbf20646060da3.jpg

Here's the new stance.......can't use a kickstand any more.....not sold on it yet.
a212adcdfd56978b2898492f6b7872eb.jpg

Maybe I'll mess with going somewhere in the middle tomorrow (I guess that would make it half a bubble off, now that sounds familiar).
On a another note, started ordering the parts for my stick shift.....don't wanna reveal my plan yet, let's just say the whole thing will be Shimano....... :D
Cheers,
Dr. T

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'd mount my crank and see where the "fit" is. Where you can sit comfortably, put your foot on the pedals and put your other foot down easily. A "rider" should be comfy, unless you're only going for a "look"... is which case ignore everything I just wrote...;)

Carl.

looks cool! would love to see a pic lower though,, just to see the stance.

Troy

I agree, this look detracts from the long slung out look the original Rail had. It going lower, how much is still TBD.....got to go do some yardwork, followed by family time. Hopefully, I'll get some time tonight to drop it.

Stay tuned...

Stole a few minutes tonight and lowed the fork by approximately half the distance between the two previous tries.
Apologies for the wreck of a 'shop' I have, a remodel is scheduled for it in November....
Before:
f0c1cf5257995581f8e476db5dae439d.jpg

After:
dd1e5d9268f722dee9ec7cafe586d357.jpg

0c94b4c4a937deab6be304f322a3a866.jpg

cd18b3a9d5f99c24e90aa780f8c21be2.jpg

It's better....
Here's a shot of the chainguard in place, it's nice when they bolt right on. Good 'match' to the one on the Rail.
0f364abf232f9e01267b6c817a2e00f0.jpg

Well, off to Disney/Universal on Saturday for a week.
See ya then!

Cheers,
Dr. T

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your first after photo is still of the high fork, but judging from the other after shots, I think you got it right at the halfway mark. Have fun in mouse land.

Latest posts

Back