Sears Mainliner, aka "King of the Road". first mockups...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bullied a friend of mine into trading the frame to me for a fixie wheel. He wanted to build a tallbike out of it but I couldn't stand the thought of a tank bike (even a middleweight) being used to build a tallie, as much as I love them. I have started 2 build offs and never finished one, so here's to hoping I can make this one come together. Here's the frame as I received it... I'm thinking of wet sanding and giving it a clear coat, has anyone tried that?

IMG_05601_zps737afbbd.jpg

I'm building this thing out of my parts stash, and while I'm not crazy about these wheels, they're what I have on hand so unless I come across something better this is what I'm using. I may go with a skinny 1.5 up front, we'll see when I start doing mock ups. ;-)

IMG_0562_zpsca0bb479.jpg

I got this chain ring as part of the trade, and I'm really stoked about it. This saddle should really make the rust on the frame pop. ;-)

IMG_0551_zps55d15d81.jpg

This 5 speed shifter would be a fun bit of bling, but I'm not sure this is the right build for it. I'm missing the left side cover and mounting bracket. I've always thought it would be cool to mount it inside a tank, but it does not quite fit in this little bitty tank. I'm thinking I'll save that space for a battery instead and use the shifter on a future build. Also, if I set it up as a 5 speed I won't be able to use that neat chain ring! It's a tough call and I'm not sure which way I'll go.

IMG_0558_zpsaaa7413b.jpg

This old flashlight thingy should do nicely...

IMG_0589_zpsad8d7f3b.jpg

And last but not least... the only thing I'll need to spend a little money to make work... I really hope I manage to get this thing on by the deadline, but I'll be spending at least a month in texas between now and then, so we'll have to see.

IMG_0588_zps4b0f6ea8.jpg

Last edited:
Good group of parts. That airhorn is insane.

You could do what this guy does and just bring your compressor with you.

Looks like a great parts haul. Particularly like the 'flashlight thingy', where do I get one :)

My eyes lit up when I spotted it at an estate sale... scored some cool stuff at that one!

You could do what this guy does and just bring your compressor with you.

That thing is nuts! I actually bought a small 12v compressor to use with the horn when I first picked it up, but I don't think I want more "stuff" on this bike than is absolutely necessary, especially not an ugly plastic air compressor and battery. My other thought was just a pocket full of quarters every time I ride it to air it up at the gas station as needed.

Great parts already. A wet sand and clearcoat will work great on this bike.

I've thought of using an air tank before and I was going to tear apart one of those small cheap car lighter plug compressors and take the compressor out of it and run it on the back tire like the old generators that run lights. You would need a pressure unloader but I'm pretty sure it would work... It's on my never-ending list of future projects.

Good luck, Rg

Got some mockups done today, the only part I'm unsure about is the angle of the airhorn/sissy... once I have that figured out I can fine tune the location of the rear light, but I'm thinking if it goes straight back the light will hug the fender (and the sissy will be shorter), and if it sticks up it'll go on the end of the sissy...

Not sure about the name, but I figure with a semi truck airhorn it oughta have a 18 wheeler feeling name, so for now it's "King of the Road". (I'm sure there are a dozen other bikes with the name, so I'll try to think of something else, haha)

IMG_0630_zpsd2537caa.jpg

IMG_0631_zps35bd83ca.jpg

IMG_0633_zpsf3ead36d.jpg

IMG_0634_zpseef1206d.jpg

IMG_0632_zps6c50d24a.jpg

IMG_0642_zps431f30ec.jpg

IMG_0639_zps325bf6b5.jpg

Last edited:
How about "Horny Toad" for a name
That horn is crazy!!! I think it looks better parallel with the ground.

Would the air horn fill with water if it is pointed up? Might be something to consider...

Luke.

It might, yeah... I was thinking I'd make a slip cover for it. I figure a little water won't hurt it, it was designed to face forward on a moving truck, so as long as I don't let water pool in it it should be fine. I can always clear any water that collects in it out with a blast of air!

How about "Horny Toad" for a name
That horn is crazy!!! I think it looks better parallel with the ground.

I might have to sleep on it. Did a second mock up parallel to the ground with it as far forward as I can without my feet hitting it and I like it a little better.

"Master Blaster" or if you're going for a big rig old school reference it could be "Rubber Duck" from C.W.Mcall's Convoy.

Did a second mock up parallel to the ground with it as far forward as I can without my feet hitting it and I like it a little better.

Sweet bike so far! Thats exactly what I was going to suggest, the rear pic looks sweet and makes the air horn also look kind of like a megaphone exhaust. Tucked in might look a little better, but like you said without hitting your feet.:thumbsup:

And how about Rustimus Prime :grin:

I like the looks of it parallel to the ground. But ur missing one..... for the other side.

Latest posts

Back