Another Heavy Duti build... Headbadge mounted

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a couple of frames from ind-chuckz (thanks Chuck!)

So I thought I would start a build thread...

I had a '46ish Schwinn DX klunker that I was riding for the last several years, but my wife kind of took it as her own, so I thought I'd put another bike together for myself...

Started with the usual Heavy Duti...

First thing was to make the chain guard mounts and all the eyelets on the fork and rear dropouts disappear...

I also cut off the kickstand mount...

Then I stripped the paint...

oct

Took it over to a friend's house, and we un brazed the eyelets from the seat stays, with an oxy acetylene torch...

These eyelets... I'm guessing they're for a rear rack?

Here it is with them removed:

After they were removed, I filed the brass off...

I've collected a few parts from Danscomp...

I have a set of double walled DH39 wheels that I'm going to use... Except that the rear wheel contains a dreaded histop hub, that must be removed... Just need to decide if I should go with the bendix or a shimano e110...

Trying to decide on tires...

Originally I had planned for this to be a trail bike, and was going to go with the kenda nevegal 2.35's.

Now I'm wondering if I should go with something a little more multi purpose.

I have the maxxis holy rollers on the DX, and like them, but wanted to try something different.

whats the easiest way to get rid of the old paint??
I got myself a Heavy Duti, to bbecome a klunker, just started the project.

Trying to decide on tires...

Originally I had planned for this to be a trail bike, and was going to go with the kenda nevegal 2.35's.

Now I'm wondering if I should go with something a little more multi purpose.

I have the maxxis holy rollers on the DX, and like them, but wanted to try something different.

I would recommend kenda small block 8's They roll smooth on asphalt, and grip well on hardpack, and dusty dirt.

smallblock8.jpg

whats the easiest way to get rid of the old paint??
I got myself a Heavy Duti, to bbecome a klunker, just started the project.

I used a paint stripper...
This is what I used, I found it at Lowe's...

It's nasty, wear gloves and eye protection. It will burn you. Protect the area where you are spraying it. It will dissolve plastic.

After the allotted time, the paint will wrinkle up and in some cases fall right off.

Then I used one of these scraper brushes to scrape all the paint off... See the little scraper on the end of the brush... (This also came from Lowe's)

I then wash the parts with soap and water.

The stripper doesn't always get all the paint off. So after washing with soap and water, and after it's dry, I use a wire wheel in a drill to get any paint that's left.

Before I spray the primer on, I wash it down with lacquer thinner or naphtha, just to make sure there's no stripper residue to compromise my paint.
Then I prime and paint!

Here is the frame painted a powder blue. It has not been clear coated yet as I still am going to paint accent colors and I would like to make some decals to put on it...

The hardware, cranks headset, stem, wheels, will be black.
Pedals and maybe chainring will be red...

oct

I like the color.. I also have plans for a powder blue color on a cruiser that I just got.. I sold my HD Schwinn Klunker and replaced it with the new cruiser.. Can't wait to see your Klunker finished..

Well,
It's been super cold here, so I haven't been able to do any painting...

I ordered a saddle and a threadless stem adapter...

Still need:
Seat post (black?)
Mx bars (black or silver?)
Sprocket (black or red?, # of teeth?)

And my hardest decision, tires... (Nevegals, k-rads, small block8's, duro style knob tires, or holy rollers???)

oct

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back