Schwinn Typhoon Cord Repops

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I picked up a pair of WW Typhoon Cords at a swap meet a couple weeks ago and assumed they were repops from 1995 when Schwinn did the Phantom repops. I still think they are because they are in too nice shape to be 60ish years old, but I was under the impression the repops were stamped "made in Taiwan." I find no such markings on these. Would the originals have made in USA on them? These have nothing but "Schwinn Typhoon Cord," "26 x 2.125," and "Inflate 22 - 35 psi" (or something similar referencing inflation pressure).

Schwinn gave Coker tire the original molds for the '95 Phantom. I bought a set from Coker in '96 or '97. They still had some left. I just went down and looked at my tires. They don't say "Made in USA" anywhere. You just might have some '95 Coker's. Gary

That's interesting the Coker version wouldn't have "made in USA" on them since I would assume they were made here. Perhaps it was done to distinguish repops from originals.

Mine do have enough age to them that I could see them being close to 20 years old. The white walls have just enough discoloration to look great on an original or older restoration.

Latest posts

Back