Columbia arch frame

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is turning out really nice. Gonna do the pinstripe in gold to make it look elegant ? You should have those bars replated with nickel...probably the same as chrome and looks alot more time period correct. Ratrod has a guy doing some plateing fairly reasonable ...you ought to give him a pm.

Very nice bike. The blue looks awesome.

I got the pedals rebuilt and the seat cleaned, but it still needs to be stitched back together or recovered. I took it for its maiden voyage a couple of nights ago and it rides.... different! A very upright seating position with your hands down low. I still need to make a bracket for the top of the truss rods. I will be putting a box stripe on the frame and fork also.
004-1.jpg

007-1.jpg

005-1.jpg

006-1.jpg

See you inspired me on my Schwinn stretch...would have been nice to have an original...but then I couldnt have cut it up to stretch. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Hey,

That's looking beautiful! Nice work! Absolutely perfect color, and I'm really looking forward to seeing the box stripe. I'm also really digging the seat- what color and fabric would you recover it in? Leather? White might look really nice...

Thanks everyone. The stand is a repro I got on ebay. The people that make them live in Canada. A bicycle museum here in America sells them, but they are really expensive. I think I will try to re-sew the seat and if that does not work then a nice matte black leather or vinyl. I know it is a kind of weird mix of like new chrome and rusty original parts but it will have to stay the way it is for a while.

Boardtrack fan said:
I know it is a kind of weird mix of like new chrome and rusty original parts but it will have to stay the way it is for a while.

In my opinion that gives a lot of character, your bike is so cool. Same line of design I´m redoing my mom´s bike, which I think is just great!!
What about riveting that seat? Around here I take it to the local shoemaker shop and done! Seat back to life.

Gdcast said:
Boardtrack fan said:
I know it is a kind of weird mix of like new chrome and rusty original parts but it will have to stay the way it is for a while.

In my opinion that gives a lot of character, your bike is so cool. Same line of design I´m redoing my mom´s bike, which I think is just great!!
What about riveting that seat? Around here I take it to the local shoemaker shop and done! Seat back to life.
I had not thought of shoe repair! I was trying to find a local saddle shop, but have been unsuccessful. Maybe I will try a cobbler. Thanks for the tip.

You could resew it by hand (I resewed almost my whole horsehide biker jacket by hand) It probably wouldn't be too hard, the holes are there from the original thread which probably just rotted out. If you feel like taking on a project you could borrow my industrial sewing machine and try to get it working (I haven't even messed with it) It runs but I haven't tried putting thread through it.

ambman said:
You could resew it by hand (I resewed almost my whole horsehide biker jacket by hand) It probably wouldn't be too hard, the holes are there from the original thread which probably just rotted out. If you feel like taking on a project you could borrow my industrial sewing machine and try to get it working (I haven't even messed with it) It runs but I haven't tried putting thread through it.
I'm afraid I might sew my fingers together with that thing! I think I will try hand sewing. The leather is still pretty soft.

Looks awesome!

Yeah, like Uncle Stretch said...the guy by me would plate that stem and bars for under $50 I bet.

Rat Rod said:
Looks awesome!

Yeah, like Uncle Stretch said...the guy by me would plate that stem and bars for under $50 I bet.

$50 would be a great price. I wonder how much shipping from Detroit would be? The seat chassis was all chrome or nickel at one time. I think the pitting on the springs is to deep to attempt a rechrome on them. A guy at Wauseon had boxes of NOS seat chassis in chrome and painted. I have been kicking myself for not going back and buying a few. I think he was asking $30 ea.

Nice. You have a shot of the headbadge screw hole layout? How many holes? I am eyeing a frame and am trying to determine the make. It has four screw holes in the head tube.

That's turning out super! Was the frame outside in the weather at C. H. ? And can you just drive up there without an appointment?

Latest posts

Back