how do you keep rust??

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi, been offerd a rusty frame an want to keep it that way but without the dust. i dont want to clear coat or any sort of paint realy if i can help it, somone said linseed oil might do it? any tips?

I think it depends on the look you are going for. I have cleared over rust before with a satin clear, and I think it looks fantastic, but clearly, each to their own on that. What I did to get rid of the dust and prep it was wipe down the bike with acetone, then layed down two coats of rattle can clear (rustoleum, ironically).

I have heard other using oils, etc, but that seemed like it would be too high maintenance for me.

the bikes going to be that ratty i dont realy want the bother / cost of painting. main thing is to keep the dust at bay as the frame is realy rusty, i dont mind wiping it down with somthing every now an then if that will work

As you have mentioned, I use the boiled linseed oil. It's at Home Depot. Put it on a rag, and wipe it on over the rust and old paint. The finished look is sort of wet, just a little darker than without it, but it will pretty much freeze the look as is. I love it. I use it on my bare metal frames so they won't rust.

As you have mentioned, I use the boiled linseed oil. It's at Home Depot. Put it on a rag, and wipe it on over the rust and old paint. The finished look is sort of wet, just a little darker than without it, but it will pretty much freeze the look as is. I love it. I use it on my bare metal frames so they won't rust.

How often do you have to re-apply the oil, or do you bother?

How often do you have to re-apply the oil, or do you bother?

I've never needed to re-apply yet. I haven't used Penetrol, which us56456712 says is better, but linseed oil works great for me, and I plan on it's continued use.

clear chassis saver could be an option too. it needs rust or at least a rough surface to bond.

Latest posts

Back