A bike in the kitchen! My wife's idea!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of the blue the other day, my wife says, "We should hang one of your bikes in the kitchen." Our house was built in 1952 and it has pink metal Geneva cabinets and there is a lot of chrome and stainless steel throughout the kitchen. She is the creative one in the relationship. She always has these crazy ideas that I would never think of. I am usually hesitant to go along with her ideas, but most of the time they work out great.

I was and still am a little apprehensive about hanging an old bike in the kitchen, but I was willing to at least bring a bike in from the garage because she wanted to see how it would look. It is a 24" Schwinn Tornado which coincidentally was built in 1952, the same year as the house. Her idea is to put some kind of planter on the rear rack with a vine plant in it. I would obviously clean it up really good and hang it higher. The left side of the handlebar is bent pretty bad so I could cut part of that side off so I could mount it closer to the wall.

Tornado%2520Kitchen.jpg

Very Cool ,I've seen many bikes in Restaurants, so why not a
Kitchen , look's Great !

Rafael

I dunno if I could bring myself to cut off half a handlebar for a display....but if the bar is junk already, maybe.. Going to pull a pedal as well?

I love those old metal cabinets...Unfortunately not many people do appreciate them and rush to install the latest fiberboard wonders from the big box store.

I got away with having this one in the Living room for about a Month !
not a very good pic, but here it was .

Good idea to removed half the handlebar, of find a another set to chop in half, you might also remove the pedal on that side. You might want to look at crating a ledge to set the wheels on, then some hooks with chain to hang the bike at an angle down. Lucky you can get away with it.

I dunno if I could bring myself to cut off half a handlebar for a display....but if the bar is junk already, maybe.. Going to pull a pedal as well?

I love those old metal cabinets...Unfortunately not many people do appreciate them and rush to install the latest fiberboard wonders from the big box store.

Yeah, not sure about the handle bar yet. It is bent and has a pretty good crease in it. Also has gouges from where it looks like someone tried to straighten them out with pliers. I would remove the left pedal as well.

Latest posts

Back