Triple Red and Yellow Band Rebuild- Questions, Answers, Pics

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Gary for the advice. I think that perhaps my hub is stuck in high gear. When I pedal the bike, the rear cog turns one time every time the wheel turns, 1:1. The same point on the rear cog follows the same point on the wheel. No amount of trying to back pedal to kick it down to low gear changes that. It is always 1:1 which I assume is high gear? And that low gear should be something different...

Seems I heard about a back-door method to get the hub apart--coming in through the brake side--anyone heard of that as well?

Thansk

Eric

This is a GREAT thread! not meaning to hijack but have a question... while I was away on holidays I had my yellow band 2 spd typhoon with me and decided I was bored and took the hub apart to rebuild and grease it I didnt have this thread so it was by the seat of my pants. long story short I got it all apart soaked the parts regreased them all reassembled it and everything worked :)

but my question is my yellow band is noisy in 1st gear, thats the reason i took it apart to grease it. After I reassembled it it was quieter for 10 mins or so then is now back to being noisy is this normal? im guessing its just wear from the planetary gears? my blue band stingray makes noise also in 1st but you can barely hear it the yellow band is very noticeable

thanks Ty

Growling in low gear is pretty much normal for one of these 40 yr old hubs that has wear. As long as it's not grinding, cracking, or slipping you're probably okay. Congrats on the rebuild. 8) First time can be confusing on these. Gary

I was rebuilding another red band kickback this weekend. On this one the brake discs were BADLY scored. I figured I would document the hand resurfacing job to help anyone who might have one in the same condition. This will also work on any other disc pack type brakes such as a New Departure Model D.

Here is what the bronze disc looked like when I started.
IMG_0396.jpg

IMG_0390.jpg

IMG_0397.jpg

IMG_0400.jpg

I set up some wet/dry sand paper for the job (left to right- 800, 1000, 2000). The near side is lubricated with a couple drops of 3in1 oil and the far side is dry.
IMG_0395.jpg

Gently sand the discs starting at the 800 and working to the 2000. Here is one in mid-buffing.
IMG_0394.jpg

IMG_0394.jpg

Here is where I stopped on the bronze discs. They are not perfect but they are vastly improved and will provide the stopping power you need.

IMG_0406.jpg

I cleaned the steel discs up on my fine bristled brass wire wheel.

I spent about two and a half hours working the discs. Hope this help someone.

B607 said:
Growling in low gear is pretty much normal for one of these 40 yr old hubs that has wear. As long as it's not grinding, cracking, or slipping you're probably okay. Congrats on the rebuild. 8) First time can be confusing on these. Gary

Thanks :) im a millwright so taking things apart and fixing them is what i do for a living I was just hoping every second that it was still going to work lol. Theres no grinding or other unhappy noises coming from it, pulls strong, shifts quick just growls in 1st. I figured it was just from wear to the gears. I love 2 spds!

DSCF6689.JPG

Out for a ride today and my "kickback" started to squeak. I decided to tear it apart and re-grease it when I got back. This was my first time taking apart a Bendix Automatic. Everything looked to be in really good shape including the grease except for one set of bearings. Hopefully that was the noise problem. I cleaned, greased and reassembled everything. It went a lot better than I expected. With the wheel back on the bike and the bike on the repair stand it seems to be working ok. I'll have to road test it later.

Referred to this thread more than a few times.

2z7hqop.jpg

Both the Bendix and Sutherland's Manuals specify ELEVEN ball bearings, NOT TWELVE.

The way the balls are up against each other is going to cause damage. There needs to be space in between each ball or they will grind against each other as they rotate.

Go ahead think about it for a second.

If your ever working on any hub and are not sure on how many bearing were in a loose set up like that, a good rule of thumb is to fill it up and then take 1 out.

Does anyone know where you can buy a fresh set of the brake discs? And what's the quality of them if you can?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back