what is your favorite sprocket

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a semi serious collector of sprockets, I would like to beg you to not do "exact reproduction" of sprockets. Im already having to be really carefull to not buy reproductions of certain sprockets and I see buyers being swindled by sellers claiming repops are the real thing. I know just a lazer cut sprocket does have telltail giveaways and if the buyer knows what they are looking at, can be spotted. Lucky for me, most of the high dollar sprockets that have been repopped, I already have, but my concern is for others.

Case in point; a couple years ago somebody lazered the Harley Davidson HD bicycle sprocket circa 1918-1923. They were sold on a bicycle forum for $80 each as a repop. Somebody bought a few and lathe turned them to closely resemble the original steps and tapers (watch out for these, they are close). Earlyer this year, I saw one of the repops that had not been turned listed on ebay for $420 and the seller said in his discription that it 'coulddips be a repop, but was pretty sure it was authentic". I messaged the seller that it was a repop and pointed out reasons why I thought so, and even after he sold it then had to relist it never updated the description. Somebody ended up buying a repop more or less sold as authentic.

I am a believer in making a minor change to allow people in the future to tell it is a reproduction. The values of schwinn krates dropped consiterably because schwinn repopped (albeit their own) the krate so well collectors couldnt tell the difference.

With all that being said. I think having somebody that is willing and able to make custom sprockets is great and I will be asking for a quote to have something lazered for me.

If my count is correct 40 tooth :shock: skip tooth :shock: 80 tooth non skip.... :shock: :idea: :idea: :!: :!: :arrow: :lol: :lol: :!:

barnbikes said:
I do not intend to make repops.

More in the line of one off customs.

The title says "what is your favorite sprocket"...this is my favorite sprocket right now. So my question is what size will you be making you're sprockets :?: :?:

i like the rollfast chainrings

IMG_1029_crop_zpsf09371ca.jpg

i can see a laser cutter cut an old skiptooth chaingring because they are completely flat. Half inch chaingrings are thinner and are not flat. the purpose on the beveled design is to make them strong while saving on weight. How do you plan to work around this? i might be interested in a custom chainring! :D

Don't have a picture but I've actually got a NOS one stored in a box somewhere that I've been serching for for years. It's the oval shaped Rocket Sprocket. They were 1" pitch and kinda noisey but they sure looked cool!

outsider13 said:
If my count is correct 40 tooth :shock: skip tooth :shock: 80 tooth non skip.... :shock: :idea: :idea: :!: :!: :arrow: :lol: :lol: :!:

That has to be a Racycle chainring. They ran a 40 tooth skiptooth in front. People often think that gave them a crazy ratio, but they actually used a very large sprocket in the rear, as well, so that the ratio was about the same as any other road bike. Their engineers thought larger sprockets would mean less stress on any part, though there's really no proof that they were correct.

I believe that Racycle skiptooth chains were a very odd 3/32", instead of 1/8". I would call these my favorite, as well (if my rambling wasn't clue enough for you).

id like to see a piece of thick stainless cut like a 5 slot aluminum mag, like the ansen sprint. is It possible to cut something like that in a way that you can put a chainring on it so you aren't stuck to one size? or would that not work?

Love this idea! If Steve (RatRod) is ok with the RRB one I might be interested depending on price, the other I would really like would be an early sweetheart style but 60+ teeth! (preferably an even number (66/68 teeth maybe?) so if people wanted to make it skip tooth with a bench grinder they could, would increase the market for them a bit.) Once again, depending on price, I am very interested! :D

Luke.

Here is a picture of a 70 tooth sweetheart like sprocket that a board member asked for for a project. Next to a stock 52 tooth Monark.

WOW Now thats what I'm talkin' About :shock: Ya! :shock: awesome 70 tooths :lol: :lol:

Raining/snowing outside so I get some computer time.

Thinking of a new build - girls bike painted white with skirt guards. Named either nun-sense, holy roller or Pope cycle.

Other one is more of a muscle bike sprocket.

barnbikes said:
Here is a picture of a 70 tooth sweetheart like sprocket that a board member asked for for a project. Next to a stock 52 tooth Monark.

:mrgreen: Can't wait for it to arrive in the mail!

Luke.

Latest posts

Back