Outskirtscustoms finds

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I did a bit of wheelin' and dealin' with a kid down the road like I normally do and he got the Schwinn 10 speed I just picked up and the remainder of the fake GT with a different fork that was nearly identical. and I got Dark Horse 2 back! I also did a deal with his dad to get this GT frame and bars back to build up with my parts.

He got this Schwinn World 10 speed

and this but with another fork (Same exact type but without the decals because I'm keeping it for the GT as a temporary till I can find a real GT fork)

I got this my Dark Horse 2 build

Then I bought this frame and bars for $30 and a nice pocket knife

Bars match the brakes within a few shades so it should look good.

Pic is kinda blurry so I grabbed the frame and looked to clarify, there is a 4 stamped in front of the dropout slot and serial is 6841697

He said it was a 1984 pro series and something about the 4 meaning it is a pro series? I don't know I'm too lazy to look it up right now I'm tired from running all day.

GT 4130 :D

tanksalot said:
Are you towing a Dryer ?? WOW .. :lol:

Nope... Washer, 2 bicycle frames, a weed eater, and some miscellaneous junk metal. :wink:

It figures That was going to be my original guess But I couldnt see the hose fittings.. I give you a A for scraping effort .. :D If thats what you where doing with it other wise congrats on the new washer ...
outskirtscustoms said:
tanksalot said:

Nope... Washer. :wink:

tanksalot said:
It figures That was going to be my original guess But I couldnt see the hose fittings.. I give you a A for scraping effort .. :D If thats what you where doing with it other wise congrats on the new washer ...
outskirtscustoms said:
tanksalot said:

Nope... Washer. :wink:

Yeah scrapped it, it was busted up already, neighbor down the road threw it out and I figured it'd bring me a few bucks to spend on a bike. That's how I bought the Schwinn 10 speed. :mrgreen:

tanksalot said:
What ever works .. Thats half of the fun.. :D

Believe it or not that is a normal load for that trailer, I have had more than one of these little trailers and I cracked the wheel on one hauling a 500 lb load into the scrapyard. Lucky for me the tire held the wheel together long enough to limp it there. I recently got a 1/2 inch thick steel plate to put behind the hitch so it stops bending. :mrgreen:

You are the true Fred Sanford of deals!!!!!! (That is a high compliment by the way)
Awesome!!

kingfish254 said:
You are the true Fred Sanford of deals!!!!!! (That is a high compliment by the way)
Awesome!!

Thanks! Just curious I have never heard of the GT "Pro" How is it different from a standard GT and does that translate to a bigger price or is it pretty much relative value?

sqrly said:
The "pro" should be a longer frame. Usually 1-1.5" longer top tube.
Just measured and it is 18.5 top tube

love the use of the trailer for appliance hauling :shock:

Troy

Got Dark Horse 2 cleaned up a bit and noticed it has a bit of wear on the tire from the chain rubbing so I might have to flip the sprocket or throw in another washer. Pretty much as it was when I got rid of it.

outskirtscustoms said:
sqrly said:
The "pro" should be a longer frame. Usually 1-1.5" longer top tube.
Just measured and it is 18.5 top tube
I cant remember what the measurment are normally, but there is all kinds of info at bmx museum. They make you pay to sell though.

Re: After so much work!!! I traded up.

Had my first problem out of the KHS the other day. I was riding along and started to hear a clanging sound and feel a bit of something just "off" about the bike. Well I stopped and 4 of the 6 bolts that held the rear brake disk to the hub had wiggled out and the remaining 2 were not even finger tight so I pulled the wheel and removed the disk entirely and rode to the hardware store and got new bolts. When I got home I put them back in with some loctite.

Has anyone else had this problem with disk brakes?

A friend of mine strongly recommended these grips and gave me a set to try out and I can now see why, they are great. Very comfortable and molded to your hand. They kinda look like an airplane wing but the comfort is worth it. They are "Specialized Body Geometry" lock on grips.

And you can see my new harbor freight headlight made from two reflector brackets bolted together, a little inner tube, and a harbor freight flashlight. Fully adjustable, cheap, and doesn't look bad. Once I can find a few more reflector brackets I'm going to put one on the other side of the stem for dual lights.

stephen said:
That is a Middlemore B89, a later version due to the bag loops style.
Thanks for the info.

I was outside working on my van and spotted a junker at my trash pile with a load of bikes in his truck! I stopped him and took a quick peek to see what he had and he had mostly department store junk missing wheels and spray-bombed BMX frames but I did spot this little diamond in the ruff a Schwinn Stingray with good back tire and tube. I have been hunting one of these for a project I've wanted to do for a while now. I asked him and he said $5 so I jumped on it! Now where did I put that Harley Davidson whitewall tire... I've said too much.
Rusty chrome Stingray

Missing a clamp for the bars so I'll have to MacGyver something here.

And it has the fork foot rests!

Latest posts

Back