Gotta Girvin!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a crazy sweet deal on this Proflex 555 with Girvin fork. I am all about flipping bikes to fund the BMX addiction these days, but I am tempted to keep this one as I have always wanted a Girvin fork. It almost seems like with these Proflex's the forks are worth as much by themselves as the total bike.

It seems like they've come up in value since I last looked a year ago. Would make sense as the BMX guys are getting hotter and hotter for the BMX from the 90's. Maybe MTB guys of the same age, coming into their own professionally, are feeling nostalgic about their old MTBs.

This one has the standard disintegrating yellow suspension thingies in the rear. One literally turned into like silly putty and just kinda melted out of there. The fronts don't look too bad, but one is pretty cranked down. I know there are things you can do to them like replace them with more modern coilshocks, etc. But I want to keep this on the cheap if I can, so I will have to read up on them.

Pretty neat engineering feats these bikes are! (And you know I am tempted to keep the fork for a Ratrod!)

IMG_5343.jpg

IMG_5342.jpg

IMG_5340.jpg

Nice find. When I parted out the K2 3000 last year pocketed $150 clear profit AND kept the Girvin fork and a few other parts.

Thanks guys! I thought the yellow was pretty sharp too. I've read that e-bike guys like these early ones for the open triangle. They also like these vs full suspension coil shocks sometimes because they are a bit more ridgid, but not totally ridgid. But generally the ones with the crazier tubes fetch more frame wise.

I will try to sell it as a whole first, but I've seen the frame and fork sell for less than just the fork alone! Which I imagine has to do with the shipping.

I got the same fork on a Jaguarundi a while back, put a rigid fork on the bike, kept the Girvin and flipped it for more than i bought it for. That is the Vector 2 with oil dampening system. There is some good info online about tuning them. Mines going on an all aluminum build currently under construction. Nice find.

Wickedawesome333 said:
I got the same fork on a Jaguarundi a while back, put a rigid fork on the bike, kept the Girvin and flipped it for more than i bought it for. That is the Vector 2 with oil dampening system. There is some good info online about tuning them. Mines going on an all aluminum build currently under construction. Nice find.

Thanks! I wasn't sure how to tell the different generations of Girvin yet. It was one of my better $cores. What was crazy was how bad the CL garage-sale post was. They listed they had a cheap bike fore sale and a loveseat and an ottoman and some golfclubs. They didn't say what kind of bike it was at all. Just 'bike'.

And this was the only photo they posted. I zoomed in and saw that fork, and you can bet I was the first one there that morning!!! But to make matters worse, there were no signs on the street corners. No way to tell there was even a garage sale there unless you read the ad. Bike had no seat, but had everything else.
00g0g_8bcdxENFJ7q_600x450.jpg

Latest posts

Back