☆★☆BIG JIM☆★☆ BUILD THREAD RRB-BO#8 A.G. 2013 (1ST PLACE)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: ☆★☆Ꭼsє LᎾ₡Ꮎ JᎾKᎬЯ!☆★☆ RRBO#8. HUBS/AXLES DONE, NEW MOCK UP.

kingfish254 said:
After this one, you can do a ladies version and call it "The Girdle" :p
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Funkme said:
Like both forks :|
Are you going to raise the frame higher or is going to be a dirt scraper.... :D
Dirt scraper all the way! Inch and a half clearance... (38mm)
But it is not as bad as you might think, that is actually the minimum ride height on this bike, as soon as you turn the steering or lean the bike to either side, you actually gain clearance due to the tires being wider than the frame... Weird isn't it! This bike has fried my brain a few times trying to work stuff like that out...

Luke.

Re: ☆★☆Ꭼsє LᎾ₡Ꮎ JᎾKᎬЯ!☆★☆ RRBO#8. HUBS/AXLES DONE, NEW MOCK UP.

LukeTheJoker said:
Did a quick mock up with the girder fork idea, what are your thoughts?

9005338222_d3caeb21de.jpg

Luke.

Awesome!
Why is your metal always blue? Is that the way it's sold down under?

Re: ☆★☆Ꭼsє LᎾ₡Ꮎ JᎾKᎬЯ!☆★☆ RRBO#8.

The Renaissance Man said:
Awesome!
Why is your metal always blue? Is that the way it's sold down under?
The blue is a painted primer they use over here on the slightly higher tensile square tube, black is available special order (mild steel only) and also hot dipped galvanised, blue and galvanised is easy to find, but the galvanised needs special prep for painting, sometimes has an uneven finsh and the blue seems to work best for my bikes, so I just use it! :D
bruce said:
Both forks are nice but I think yours transitions between the frame and wheels a little better.

Nice progress.
Thanks Bruce!
Still working on the fork design, it will probably end up half way between the two designs...

PROGRESS REPORT: Picked up a new roll of wire, some contact tips and some sanding pads for the grinder today, also picked up some new square tube for the forks, I only had the half inch square left and wanted a bit bigger for the forks, so I got a 6.5 meter length (21.5 feet) of 20mm (3/4inch) square tube, planning on making and attaching the rear triangle tomorrow and if that goes easy and I feel I can keep going I will start on the forks too! It is possible the frame will be rolling by the end of the day... It would be a big day, so I may only get the rear done, see how I go...

Tune in next time for more exciting adventures of ☆★☆Ꭼsє LᎾ₡Ꮎ JᎾKᎬЯ!☆★☆...

Luke.

heya luke
i like that girdered fork idea
i bet you could make those reproduction for avenger forks and make a sweet profit form them if you wanted to do it.
those girdered forks for the avengers are catching upwards of 150 bucks so if you could make a reproduction of them i bet there be a market for them
this build is looking sweeter every day i love that frame design its awesome
keep up the good work
Sean

burrkrayecycles said:
heya luke
i like that girdered fork idea
i bet you could make those reproduction for avenger forks and make a sweet profit form them if you wanted to do it.
those girdered forks for the avengers are catching upwards of 150 bucks so if you could make a reproduction of them i bet there be a market for them
this build is looking sweeter every day i love that frame design its awesome
keep up the good work
Sean
Got any pics of these Avenger forks Sean?

Had a bad run with my health today, too big a day yesterday I guess... :roll:

Did a draw mock up of the forks, started with the design Glen drew up, unfortunately did not work with the frame and looked rather bulky due to the huge width needed to clear the wide tires, did another mock similar to my original girder drawing...

9022370851_934b23e428.jpg

Still not happy with it, needs to move further back towards the frame and going to give it more of a gap between the two square tubes on each side, bulk it up slightly, match the width of the frame at the widest point on the forks, happy with the angles though... Going to look good with the 20mm square tube, got 17mm on the wheel spokes and 13mm on the frame tubes, even have 22mm tube on the rear stays, should be a nice progression of different sizes through the bike... :wink:

Luke.

heya luke

i don' own any but ratrod has a sweet avenger
heres the link to his thread
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=46601
i googled amf avenger and i found his is a perfect example of the girdered forks
their pretty sweet and those as well as the yamaha motobike are on my wish list
hope it helps
sean

Much respect to the man that makes his own wheels. When I saw your spoke concept I thought of these:

4lugfuchs.jpg

Cool thing is they would "read" from both sides because of your square spokes.

The frame reminds me of the bridges in Portland, OR

tumblr_m50nsbeFLX1qgx09jo1_500.jpg

I liked Glen's girder concept, the one that is a parallelogram. You already sort of have that shape going on with the frame, so they would work well together. I know you won't be satisfied until it looks "right".

Amazing inspired work.

Makes me wonder if I am wasting my time building "normal" bikes.

burrkrayecycles said:
heya luke

i don' own any but ratrod has a sweet avenger
heres the link to his thread
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=46601
i googled amf avenger and i found his is a perfect example of the girdered forks
their pretty sweet and those as well as the yamaha motobike are on my wish list
hope it helps
sean
Thanks for the link Sean!
Those fork are insane! Looks like they are made from steel fat bar? :shock:
Crazy stuff...
MplsCoaster said:
like the new truss fork design
Thanks Steve! I am liking it too, much better than the standard triple tree set up I was thing of... Thanks to the guys here for convincing me to change!!! :D
SkidMark said:
Much respect to the man that makes his own wheels. When I saw your spoke concept I thought of these:

4lugfuchs.jpg

Cool thing is they would "read" from both sides because of your square spokes.

I liked Glen's girder concept, the one that is a parallelogram. You already sort of have that shape going on with the frame, so they would work well together. I know you won't be satisfied until it looks "right".

Amazing inspired work.

Makes me wonder if I am wasting my time building "normal" bikes.
Why are you building normal bikes? Because you want something more practical than the show piece I am building! :lol: I cant see this thing being an everyday ride to work bike for anyone! :roll:
Love the wheel idea, and you make a good point, plating 4 spokes from each side would look very cool! Going to have to think on that!
I tried to make the truss fork look right, but no matter what I did they looked like an after thought to the frame, it seems to need something different from the frame but still with some design links... Open to more suggestions and drawings if anyone has an idea?

Luke.

Done some quick mock ups on M.S. Paint, to try help make some decisions here...

Here is my original idea, the standard tubular triple tree...

9029665776_8b2924fac3.jpg

A simplified version of the "Glen" fork...

9029665582_2984814f19.jpg

This one is done to match the cross bracing on the front of the down tube on the frame...

9029665660_200c882200.jpg

I have had another idea, to combine the parallelogram girder fork with the Avenger fork style that Sean suggested, basically plate between the tubes to match the top of the frame with it's welded in plate... Any thoughts on this? I tried drawing it up, but it is hard to see, due to the solid plate area not showing up very well...

Luke.

Ok Luke, I really like your build... probably thinking about it more than my own.

So I was thinking about the main frame that you have done already... is it your intention to actually emulate a steel bridge? If yes, and you take the main frame as being the main deck structure of the bridge, then the fork needs to be another part of the bridge. Look at the following image...

99438-004-232515A3.jpg

I looked at it and thought that perhaps your fork can resemble those uprights with the wire supports. Then I thought of I-beams and came up with the following idea that is supposed to represent an I-beam with rivets and support wires.

e8jxua.jpg

Glen said:
Ok Luke, I really like your build... probably thinking about it more than my own.

So I was thinking about the main frame that you have done already... is it your intention to actually emulate a steel bridge? If yes, and you take the main frame as being the main deck structure of the bridge, then the fork needs to be another part of the bridge. Look at the following image...

99438-004-232515A3.jpg

I looked at it and thought that perhaps your fork can resemble those uprights with the wire supports. Then I thought of I-beams and came up with the following idea that is supposed to represent an I-beam with rivets and support wires.

e8jxua.jpg
:lol: I am glad you are finding this build so inspiring!
I was not actually trying to build a bridge, just using the method to make a lightweight looking frame so that the tires would get more emphasis...
That being said, love the new idea! It has got me thinking again, if I did it without the front braces, just as two parallel square tubes separated by a strip of steel with holes in it, that would look really awesome! :mrgreen:

Mock up:

9027905905_b347f1c978.jpg

Luke.

Loving this build so far! A lot of coolness going on here. A lot of welding also! 8)

LukeTheJoker said:
my vote :mrgreen:
you could even extend these to be the handlebars if you put a little curve in theme :wink:

LukeTheJoker said:
:lol: I am glad you are finding this build so inspiring!
I was not actually trying to build a bridge, just using the method to make a lightweight looking frame so that the tires would get more emphasis...
That being said, love the new idea! It has got me thinking again, if I did it without the front braces, just as two parallel square tubes separated by a strip of steel with holes in it, that would look really awesome! :mrgreen:

Mock up:

9027905905_b347f1c978.jpg

Luke.

Yeah, that's kind of how I thought you'd do it. You are right, it probably would look better without the braces, and holes instead of rivets would be kind of like a drilled I-beam axle :D

1BeamAxle_op_622x414.jpg

pick said:
Loving this build so far! A lot of coolness going on here. A lot of welding also! 8)
Thanks Pick! Lots of welding, even to the point of running out of MIG wire... (Admittedly a half used roll...)

OneHorsePower said:
my vote :mrgreen:
you could even extend these to be the handlebars if you put a little curve in theme :wink:
Thanks for the vote 1HP! Still deciding on the forks...

The drilled I beam reference makes me like that idea a bit more Glen!

Need to do more thinking...

Luke.

incredable can not wait to see it done and on the road!!

Troy

jats said:
incredable can not wait to see it done and on the road!!

Troy
same here this is gonna be a incredible build cannot wait to see it built and ridden
looking fantastic luke
sean

Latest posts

Back