The Mojito- It's a roller!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Mojito- 3 speed question

Picked up a Fuji Taxi with a 3 speed internal hub with black wheels and spokes and crank assembly. Looks like I've got some new components! Never played with a 3 speed before. Ill want to switch it to a twist shift, is this difficult?

Re: The Mojito- Now with paint!

In typical Kim style (ready, fire, aim) the 3 speed probably is not going to work. Didn't even notice when I picked the bike up that it was a 24". I'll throw the wheels on and see how it looks but it will probably end up just getting donated to my loaner collection. Oh well. Really need to pick up a threadless headset so I can get the forks and bars mounted. No work this weekend though since I'm leaving town. Good thing the deadline's in August.

Re: The Mojito- Now with paint!

noodlenoggin said:
Keep going, because I wanna see the complete bike with this wild-Hulk-Gumby-Gator sparkle green paint!

My headset should get here today so I'm hoping to have it rideable this weekend! I'll still need to paint the wheels after that but I really just want o be able to get it on the road at this point.

Re: The Mojito- Now with more frustration

Had an extraordinarily frustrating day working on the bike yesterday. First off, don't use the Glitter Blast paint. The paint chips even if the bike just looks like it's going to bump into something, so my paint job is all jacked up now. After I got over that and decided that since it was supposed to be a klunker it was probably okay to look a little beat up I tried fitting the Manitou fork since I got my threadless headset in. It was such a tight fit through the head tube that I spent well over an hour with a rat tail file cleaning up the brazing and parts of the other tubes that protruded into the head tube just so the fork tube would have clearance. After all that, guess what? The fork tube is about an inch too short to use with the BMX stem so I either need to find a low profile stem or find someone who can weld another inch or so onto the tube. So after I got over that drama I thought I would just swap it temporarily with a regular old beefy rigid fork, only problem is I can't find my other BMX stem so had to go buy one. Didn't get it up in running shape so I figured I'd go for a decompression ride on the board walk on my '51 CWC Roadmaster. Half way through that ride the wires on the top of the front hair pin spring decide to pop out from under the seat and jab me ride in a rather tender area. Great day with my bikes!! :x

Since my bike was driving me to drink I figured I'd make some use out of it. Can't have a Mojito without rum.

valve+cap.JPG

I second that,mojito all the way :D
Love the paint woerks,wish my spraying would come out like that....

Funkme said:

It's a shame that the paint is so fragile.
Looks like no one has tied the mini-bottle and valve cap together yet.

kim_dude said:
Funkme said:

It's a shame that the paint is so fragile.
Looks like no one has tied the mini-bottle and valve cap together yet.

We are waiting for YOU to tie the two together! :p

Re: The Mojito- It rides!!

yqyhepyt.jpg
shes a rider!
ypa4atuj.jpg
First time I've ever rebuilt a hub!
pyby2unu.jpg
can't make a Mojito without Bacardi!

This is not the end product since i still need to recover the seat, hopefully figure out how to get the Manitou fork to work and i meed to do something to the rear wheel. It looks like its been rattle canned silver over rust but its the only true wheel i had with steel spokes. It rides pretty nice though.

Ive never had a new departure hub before, that thing is loud when you lock it up. Scared me the first time.

Oh yeah, those pedals will have to go also since there a pair of girls pedals, the ones I picked up at the LBS were the wrong shaft size and I just wanted to get it rideable for the time being. Also need to put the drink holder on.

Scored a couple of old seats and a Shimano 3 speed coaster wheel yesterday, so hopefully I can get some gearing ability out this even if I don't get the suspension.

kim_dude said:
Ive never had a new departure hub before, that thing is loud when you lock it up. Scared me the first time.

A squirt of 30W in the oil port should quiet it down a little.

Bike is looking good!!!

8)

Latest posts

Back