new build off idea ..

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that works too kingfish
i do the same thing i sell what i don't need or trade it for stuff i need or want
im kinda excited to do a build like this basic grassroots ratrod just my style lol
thanks for posting
sean

sounds like there needs to be a price/trade cap. for those of us that are rural west trading is difficult. how about the 50 dollar build, and cap trade and spending at a 50 dollars. that way, you can get new tires, a can of paint or trade for a rim, etc.

Troy

well id say im OK with a price cap of 50 bucks but some may think it defeats the zero budget build theme
but i agree you're gonna need to replace tires tubes ect so maybe i a price cap 50 bucks spent on parts/trades would be a good idea
that is something that can be open for discussion

burrkrayecycles said:
well id say im OK with a price cap of 50 bucks but some may think it defeats the zero budget build theme
but i agree you're gonna need to replace tires tubes ect so maybe i a price cap 50 bucks spent on parts/trades would be a good idea
Other than paint to dress it up I think adding money in ruin the idea of a zero dollar build. Tires can be had in trades or from other bikes. But this is only my opinon.

dracothered said:
burrkrayecycles said:
Other than paint to dress it up I think adding money in ruin the idea of a zero dollar build. Tires can be had in trades or from other bikes. But this is only my opinon.
a lot of truth there, trading may be the way to go but a true run what you brung would also be a blast. get ya diggin around the scrap pile behind the barn :lol:

Troy

yup exactly jats
it would be fun and that's what true rat rodding was about use whatcha got n making it all work
would be fun to see what some of the guys n gals here can do there's alot of talent here.
sadly i just cleaned out all my frames but i got one i can use.
run whatcha got is my fav style since i stink at welding lol
im thinking a few guidelines that may work are as follows
1) frame must be stock and not welded ,welds are allowed only to fix safety issues grinding off brackets and such is allowed.
2)parts must be what you got lying around if parts are needed to be bought keep it limited to tires tubes and cables only.
3)paint is allowed but only spray bombing keeping it simple.
4) this sounds dumb but i wanna cover all areas bike must be built not purchased from another person.
pretty much anything goes otherwise
also pics to show progress would be a good idea.
i don't like alot of rules so im keeping it simple
maybe also bike must be a new build.
5 simple guidelines that way everyone has a fair shot.
let me know if anyone's interested
bmx bikes can also be used if you wish i wanted to include them since mine will most likely be a bmx bike and that gives everyone a chance to join in.
anything else let me know
thanks
Sean

sounds like a plan like what you have outlined when is the next question and what time line?

Troy

jats said:
sounds like a plan like what you have outlined when is the next question and what time line?

Troy
oh and BMX could be fun also! might have a few rusty ones laying around.

Troy

sounds good devon science
like i mentioned i wont be bale to start much before a month but i am def in
it should be fun
so if you're game im game
anyone else in?
thanks
sean

sounds good troy i need some time anyways im moving but i should be ready by the middle of may or so
so yeah def after rrb08 sounds good to me
i'll keep you informed
thanks
sean

I like the idea. Maybe a way to keep it honest would be for everyone to submit their list of parts to a moderator in the beginning. I guess people could still buy the parts so why not say it has to be all used parts and no fabrication cause some may act like they are welders but really outsource the work.

A list of used parts with images submitted to a moderator could work.

Just my 2 pennies

I like the idea though.

thats a good idea
im willing to submit my parts
i need to have my frame checked anyways my former hermie the frankenbike has a spot where the rear brake mount was welded
so i need to make sure i can still use it
if not i will have to find another frame in my pile
ill submit pics of the area in question this week
but yeah a neutral moderator would be an excellent idea
keep me informed
sean

burrkrayecycles said:
thats a good idea
im willing to submit my parts
i need to have my frame checked anyways my former hermie the frankenbike has a spot where the rear brake mount was welded
so i need to make sure i can still use it
if not i will have to find another frame in my pile
ill submit pics of the area in question this week
but yeah a neutral moderator would be an excellent idea
keep me informed
sean
who guys thinking for a mod? maybe Youthguy? if he would do it

burrkrayecycles said:
we can leave it open but im ok with youthguy hes cool
cool this is going to be a blast thanks Sean!

Troy

Latest posts

Back