1939 Ace badged Schwinn

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Ace does have a crank with a 6-3/4" measurement. Makes for a nice universal dog leg crank.

Thanks for the other measurements for comparison.

1918 Ranger

sorry i didn't get back to you guys,
One thing to note is I've gotten a few all original girls bikes, where the BB and crank have never been removed.

I had to build up a prewar for my wife and had a few sets of Schwinn cranks and front sprockets laying around.
Some of the sprockets would not fit the cranks. As the sprockets were specific to certain cranks. All Schwinn parts.

I'm in the process of moving but I'll get pics to prove this when I get a chance. I can measure the arms on the girls bikes tonight though.

Yes it is possible to have the shorter arms on a Schwinn crank for ladies, and the smaller sprocket, it makes it easier to pedal. Some older guys add these to their bike to make the boys bike easier to ride.

that is why no all the girls parts are directly compatible with boys bikes.

The same hold true on Boys and Girls Monarks. If you get a girls monark with a 52 tooth gfont sprocvket, it incorrect for that bike.

the whole is NOT to far fetched as you should know the is difference between boys and girls seats and pedals and bars.

Not far fetched, and this does seem to be the case for the cranks at least. I used a crank off a prewar girls bike that is 6 3/4" when I built my DX. (Now I find out!) However, the 26t sweetheart chainring went right on with no problem and that is definitely a boys sprocket so I'm still skeptical of your claim that the chain rings have different hole diameters. At least not for all the prewar years. I know '37-'41 pretty well but '33-'36 is out of my league.

When it came to gearing, for many years Schwinn made boys bikes faster. Larger chainring on the front of boys bikes or larger rear cogs on the girls bikes. When the red band kickback came out in '60 the boys bikes had 18t rear cogs and the girls bikes had 19t. Misogony was alive and well at Arnold, Schwinn! :p Gary

Latest posts

Back