1939 Ace badged Schwinn

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys another dilemma. I found this just down the road. Do I destroy this girls bike? It was painted 20 years ago and at that time the owner worked at a chrome shop where he plated most of the good parts. Obviously the seat tires and pedals aren't original but rest is. 1939 Morrow Hub. Perfect chrome on the bar, neck, crank, old Miller kickstand, bearing cups were chromed, seat post Chromed. And a nice skiptooth chain. I could use the chain and chrome parts on other restorations, so do I do it and destroy this rather fair condition 39 girls Ace bicycle. ???

ege3a2ud.jpg

u4y4atas.jpg

nyvasane.jpg

hynu4uze.jpg

u3y3amys.jpg

ybusejuj.jpg

1918 Ranger

It's really ok to harvest those parts for a more important restoration. You can always sell off the off the frame,fenders,etc. I promise, you won't feel that bad.

I would destroy it, non original paint, missing some parts, and crudly repianted. part it. Im intrested in the badge if you part it.

Nick.

Blow it up. A lot of those parts don't look correct anyway.

that is a bonafide, legit, no tears, no drama, parts donor right there...

Note that the crank length and the front sprocket are correct for a girls bike if the are original to the bike, it means the crank arms are shorter and the mounting hole on the sprocket are different from a boys bike. If you found a nice original paint girls bike, that hardware would suit it well.

If you part it out or use the chrome for another bike, youll be hard pressed to get 20 bucks for the frame.

Being relatively new to the vintage bike scene, it kinda saddens me to see these old bikes go to pieces just because they're a ladies frame. And even other men's bikes, too. But with this one, I say part it. It's the original paint stuff that I hate to see blown apart.

You need a '39 or '40 boys DX frame it looks like to me. I parted 3 prewar girls bikes to get the parts I needed to build my DX...and they were all originals. :shock: And not a single girl in the whole world cried because I parted them. :p

abe lugo said:
Note that the crank length and the front sprocket are correct for a girls bike if the are original to the bike, it means the crank arms are shorter and the mounting hole on the sprocket are different from a boys bike. If you found a nice original paint girls bike, that hardware would suit it well.

If you part it out or use the chrome for another bike, youll be hard pressed to get 20 bucks for the frame.

You're saying there's a prewar 26" Schwinn boys crank and a prewar 26" Schwinn girls crank that are different lengths? And...there are girls and boys chainrings that have different size holes? That's news to me. I would be very happy if you could show me photo proof of the above. 8) Gary

B607 said:
abe lugo said:
Note that the crank length and the front sprocket are correct for a girls bike if the are original to the bike, it means the crank arms are shorter and the mounting hole on the sprocket are different from a boys bike....

You're saying there's a prewar 26" Schwinn boys crank and a prewar 26" Schwinn girls crank that are different lengths? And...there are girls and boys chainrings that have different size holes? That's news to me. I would be very happy if you could show me photo proof of the above. 8) Gary

I have read that the cranks are different, possibly in original sales literature(?) I have not observed it in person, as I have no girls examples... I guess I could measure all my boys and see if they are the same? I am dawdling around this cold rainy weekend, so I may do that.

dougfisk said:
B607 said:
abe lugo said:
Note that the crank length and the front sprocket are correct for a girls bike if the are original to the bike, it means the crank arms are shorter and the mounting hole on the sprocket are different from a boys bike....

I have read that the cranks are different, possibly in original sales literature(?) I have not observed it in person, as I have no girls examples... I guess I could measure all my boys and see if they are the same? I am dawdling around this cold rainy weekend, so I may do that.
Ill measure this girls crank when I get back to my office Monday where its at and ill post it's dimensions. We can test the theories. Dougfisk, let us know what you find on your measurements. Thanks.

1918 Ranger

1918 Ranger said:
dougfisk said:
Ill measure this girls crank when I get back to my office Monday where its at and ill post it's dimensions. We can test the theories. Dougfisk, let us know what you find on your measurements. Thanks.

1918 Ranger

I plan to measure center of crank axis to center of hole for pedal, and center of crank to center of peg for chainwheel.

I do not expect there to be any difference in the peg distance as I have never heard of a fitment problem with a chainwheel. Cranks could well be 1/2 in different without most people ever noticing.

Tell me it's not true! The '41 DX I built might have a short girls crank? :shock: This is horrible. :p Gary

I measured three prewar cranks; '35 girls colson, '36 girls shelby, and a '40 boys schwinn all were 6 3/4 from center of crank to center of pedal hole. also measured three later cranks '46 girls schwinn and '49 &'52 boys schwinn, all were 6 1/2 from the same points as above.

I measured 3 prewar Schwinn boys cranks - 7 inches from centerline of crank axis to centerline of pedal axle.

I'd part it down. If it was og paint I'd say different but the way it sits I'd part it out and not shed a tear over it.

Latest posts

Back