1939 Colson Flyer? "BLACKOUT!"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I am starting this build tomorrow. It's been sitting in the shed for over a year & I think it's time to build it. I have given up on a tank for it, so it will be tankless unless one comes up cheap (haha). I won't be using the original forks, so it will either have a truss rod set up or I may use my Monark double spring forks on it. The plan for this one is rat, satin black powder coat done by myself & whatever ratty parts I can scrounge up out of my stockpile of junk! Anyway here is the beginning: 1939 Colson

39colson.jpg

Re: 1939 Colson Flyer?

dogdart said:
Great frame to start with :D

Am I correct in assuming that this is a "Flyer"? I know you are very knowledgeable about this old stuff! :?:

dogdart said:
I think Flyer is a good assumption . Mine is badged a "Flyer" and the frame looks identical . BlackCrownTatto has the same frame also

Cool! I guess I am in good company!

I'll be watching this one! :D Can't wait for some progress pics :wink:

I've been stripping paint for a couple of days. This frame is mega straight & in great condition. No pics yet, as there is not that much to show. I will next sandblast the frame in prep for satin black powder coat. I am however, making progress.

pick said:
I've been stripping paint for a couple of days. This frame is mega straight & in great condition. No pics yet, as there is not that much to show. I will next sandblast the frame in prep for satin black powder coat. I am however, making progress.

Ya know...if you don't have pics, it probably didn't happen :mrgreen:

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
pick said:

Ya know...if you don't have pics, it probably didn't happen :mrgreen:

Oh, it's happening bro! I could show ya, but then I'd have to kill ya! Just kidding, I've worked 3 10+ hour days this week, so not really motivated in the evenings when I get home! Feelin sorry for me yet??? :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

I'm tryin to keep up with the Hancock bunch, they've been winning all the awards around here lately! :mrgreen:

Used aircraft paint stripper for the first round of paint removal. Then spent several hours over the last week with the angle grinder with a brown scuff pad. I'm down to bare metal now on 95% of the frame. I'll need to do a little sandblasting to get the areas that I couldn't reach with the grinder. I love the bare metal look, but I am sticking with my original plan of satin black powder coat. Hope to get sandblasting done in the next couple of days & then into my oven for coating. This frame is in amazing shape for it's age!

PA310445.jpg

kingplinker said:
my favorite frame of all time - i'll get one someday...

One of my favorite frames as well! Wish I could find a tank at a reasonable price, but they are really rare & expensive! :(

Latest posts

Back