Quick spoke question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Felt 24" cruiser rim that has 12G spokes. I want to use a Nexus 8 speed hub but the info says #13 or 14 spoke size on the hub.

Can the rim still be used if I went to the smaller 13 or 14 spoke size even though it originally had 12?

Sorry for the stupid question but total noob here.

Cheers,
Dan

You could enlarge the holes in the hub, the size difference of 13G and 12G is only about 0.4Mm (1/64"). Use a drill bit for stainless steel, they are stronger. Done that a few times, it works. If you worry about rust because of coating/plating being destroyed, put some grease in the holes, or some linseed oil based stuff.
Other option is: you can get special nipples with the outer diameter for one size spoke and the thread for another. Yes, they do exist, I use them every day.

C.S. said:
Other option is: you can get special nipples with the outer diameter for one size spoke and the thread for another. Yes, they do exist, I use them every day.

Do you mind pointing us to your source for 12ga to 13ga, 12ga to 14ga reduction nipples? I’ve only seen them in 13>14 and 14<13 variety.

Well, my source is my local friendly bikeshop, in Amsterdam......... I was told 12G to 13G existed, but I never saw them. I use 14G outside to 13G thread. OK, no second option then.

Latest posts

Back