~~"Smokin In The Boyz Room"~~ The Finale. p13

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: ~~"Smokin In The Boyz Room"~~ Sat. gettin artsy wit it!

I'm starting to feel some urgency to finish the bike only thing is I'm starting to make a wish list in my head of things I'd still like to do to the bike. But as most of you, I also have my responsibilities (WHICH ARE GETTING IN MY WAY OF MY BUILD...GRRRRR!! :x :x ... :( .. :lol: )

excellent job on the chainguard.

I'm not a pinstripe expert, but I think the main reason a pinstriping brush has the long bristles is so when you load up the brush the paint will flow from the upper part (used as a resevoir) down to the lower tip through a wicking process.

The testors brushes that are small won't load up enough to get the wicking process going.

That's my theory, Rg

ifitsfreeitsforme said:
excellent job on the chainguard.
Thanks!

raggedjim said:
I'm not a pinstripe expert, but I think the main reason a pinstriping brush has the long bristles is so when you load up the brush the paint will flow from the upper part (used as a resevoir) down to the lower tip through a wicking process.

The testors brushes that are small won't load up enough to get the wicking process going.

That's my theory, Rg

Yes, pin striping materials, i.e. Mack brushes, 1Shot lettering/striping enamel, have their specific use.... I'm just cheapin out. I've seen real pin stripers in action and it is definitely an art form. I'm artistic by nature/training, but trying to do this bike on a budget also. EL CHEAPO :mrgreen:

EastOfEastLos said:
Yes, pin striping materials, i.e. Mack brushes, 1Shot lettering/striping enamel, have their specific use.... I'm just cheapin out. I've seen real pin stripers in action and it is definitely an art form. I'm artistic by nature/training, but trying to do this bike on a budget also. EL CHEAPO :mrgreen:

Cheap or not, you did a fantastic job! It's even more amazing know what you worked with.

Rg

raggedjim said:
EastOfEastLos said:

Cheap or not, you did a fantastic job! It's even more amazing know what you worked with.

Rg

Haha, nice to hear..thanks ma friend 8) Testors does actually have some nice colors. The red I used for instance is a metallic ruby red and the color looks nice up close.

Re: ~~"Smokin In The Boyz Room"~~ Mon night. Fender art

As soon as I started the build, I knew I wanted to try to pin stripe it. If this was easier for me, I'd do the whole bike, but it's a bit time consuming given I'm not a professional. Lines need cleaning up, but not right now.Flash reflected off reflector so it looks like it's a light, it's not. Goodnight..
2012-01-31003256.jpg

Cool skillz there!!!!

your stripes look awesome knowing what you used. i dont think there is a darn thing i dont like about this bike. you sir, have my vote hands down...

Easy E

kingfish254 said:
Cool skillz there!!!!

elvis51 said:
your stripes look awesome knowing what you used. i dont think there is a darn thing i dont like about this bike. you sir, have my vote hands down...

Easy E

Wow, thanks fellas! :mrgreen:

I cleaned up the lines a bit. Here's a better shot of the lines in the sunlight. I put a little striping on the edges of the reflector too. I'd like to do more, but... we'll see. :?
2012-01-31123150.jpg

This build is a masterpiece 8) ....I just wish I had even some of this talent!

sleepy said:
This build is a masterpiece 8) ....I just wish I had even some of this talent!

fordsnake said:
Your bike rocks and so does your skills...amazing work!

Very kind comments boys. Sleepy: You can do it! fordsnake: Right back at cha!

Well, after all the advice I gave you I pulled out my supplies and pulled some lines last night. They looked so bad I ragged them off!

You have skills! By the way, if you mess up you can wipe the stripe off with a rag and turpentine. I know all about that...

I gotta practice. Rg

EastOfEastLos said:
I cleaned up the lines a bit. Here's a better shot of the lines in the sunlight. I put a little striping on the edges of the reflector too. I'd like to do more, but... we'll see. :?
2012-01-31123150.jpg
Mad Skills striping with model paint and brushes!!! Your bike is a top 5 for me. Great job!! 8) 8)

If this is your first stab (or even if it isn't) at Pin Striping you ROCK! It looks AWESOME and it makes me want to try it also.

raggedjim said:
Well, after all the advice I gave you I pulled out my supplies and pulled some lines last night. They looked so bad I ragged them off!

You have skills! By the way, if you mess up you can wipe the stripe off with a rag and turpentine. I know all about that...

I gotta practice. Rg

Lol, don't feel bad and don't give up. Watch videos on Youtube about pin striping, I did. I messed up a bunch too and to top it off, I've got a slight tremor in my hands. Patience, practice, patience, practice, etc., etc. etc... 8)

bike2112 said:
East, for someone who has never striped before, you are a total natural at it. Amazing dude.
Thank you man. THIS IS WHAT I WANT EVERYONE TO KNOW, I DIDN'T THINK OF THIS AS PINSTRIPING, I THOUGHT OF IT AS A "DESIGN". IF I LABELED IT "PINSTRIPING", I WOULD'VE PSYCHED MYSELF OUT!! :shock: WHEN I TOOK THE IMPORTANCE AWAY FROM IT BY THINKING OF IT AS A DESIGN OR A DOODLE, I CALMLY WENT AT IT AND IT CAME OUT OK. I WOULD OF LOVED FOR IT TO COME OUT CLEANER, MORE IMAGINATIVE, BOLDER, CLEANER, BUT IT CAME OUT ALRIGHT. NOT THE WAY I WISH IT WOULD'VE, BUT ALRIGHT. Now that the artwork is done, so far, i'll call it "pinstriping" hahaaha!. :wink:

Bigdaddy772 said:
Mad Skills striping with model paint and brushes!!! Your bike is a top 5 for me. Great job!! 8) 8)
I'm very flattered! I wasn't expecting the kind words. I appreciate it. 8)

MplsCoaster said:
kingfish254 said:
Cool skillz there!!!!
+1! :mrgreen:
8)

Joker-n-Jack said:
If this is your first stab (or even if it isn't) at Pin Striping you ROCK! It looks AWESOME and it makes me want to try it also.
Thank you JNJ! I used to do decent artwork and was a graphic designer. I did very few cool pieces of work when I worked for a company as a graphic designer. Most of the coolest stuff I did was for myself or back in school (community college 8) ). I've made pinstripes as a graphic using the computer but never tried doing it by hand. Believe me. I have a shakey hand, the wrong, cheap brushes, the wrong paint. I never thought of attempting this...until now 8) haha! So, so many guys here have such AWESOME skillz, 8) it challenges you to bring your game up a notch or two. That's one of the really cool things about this website. Here, I did some things that I didn't think I'd ever do and, these things came out fairly ok. It's great to be inspired! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Re: ~~"Smokin In The Boyz Room"~~ Now it's the lamps turn.

Work in progress. :) Taking advantage while I am in the artistic mood. The fog light is one of my favorite parts of my bike, as a matter of fact, I think it's the bikes focal point.
2012-05-30233701-1.jpg

Latest posts

Back