Western Flyer MotoFlyer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have wanted one of the little Chinese motor kits for a while now but I am too frugal to go buy one. This past weekend at the Midwest Bicycle SwapI managed to get my hands on a complete used 80cc kit with a one gallon tank. All it cost me was a '94 Redline 20" I had brought to flip.
IMAG1038.jpg

The motor had some stickers on it from one of our local motorcycle custom shops so I figured it was something they had built to sell along side their other bikes. I wanted to ask them some tech questions about it so I loaded the bike I had the motor half mounted on and headed to pay them a visit.

The shop guy was real helpful chatting me up about the motor and such when he noticed the tank, with its flaming skull decals. His eyes lit up and said "I know that motor!" He ran off and grabbed his boss who came out to see.

It turns out that they didn't build the bike for retail sales. It had been one of the boss's personal play toys. Evidently he let someone ride it and they hit a car. The rider was arrested and the bike taken as evidence. That was the last he say it until I showed up.

He wasn't pleased to find out he missed the auction where the guy I got it from had picked it up. As you might expect from a motorcycle customizer the motor has a few hop-up parts already installed.

Short of a few fasteners the kit was indeed complete. I do need to get a new throttle grip and cable (already ordered) since the ones in there are a bit worn, about 6" of 415 chain, and some new fuel line. I have already built my custom motor mount and finished mounting the engine. Today I hope to get the clutch cable mounted, tank mounted, and if I can find the chain I may be riding today.

Here is the bike it is going on, early 60s AMF Western Flyer Silver Flyer. The tech from the cycle shop wants to buy my electric hub motor set up in a couple weeks when he gets paid. Until then I will run dual motors.
IMAG0098.jpg

Re: Motor Time with UCB

Well here are some pics I snapped this morning. My phone died before I could upload them.

IMAG1040.jpg

IMAG1041.jpg

IMAG1042.jpg

IMAG1045.jpg

After the phone died I plugged it in and hit the sack so we would both recharge. When I got up I got the tank mounted and the new fuel line installed.

IMAG1049.jpg

I also wanted a bit of color to the bike so I cleaned up the peeling chrome on the muffler and shot it with a ceramic based, flat blue exhaust paint. Tomorrow after the paint has set for 24 hours I will have to heat treat it in the oven to fully cure the paint.

IMAG1061.jpg

Big thanks to Three-Wire for hooking me up with some new chain! I got it mounted and properly adjusted. I ditched the hub motor set-up and the crusty rear wheel, replacing both with a heavy duty set I have had hanging in the garage since I put the thick bricks on the Colson Rat. I am still waiting on the throttle parts to arrive, should be here in the next couple days, and I need to find a suitable fork.

COOL! I have one of those motors that I need to do something with before I lose all the pieces.

Here she is as she currently sits. I will need to find a new fork so I can mount the matching front wheel.
563198_10150977688775278_118735470277_12913637_1720977163_n.jpg

I managed to get it running for a few minutes today. Need to get the throttle parts replaced and a new fuel filter.
532845_10150977688855278_118735470277_12913638_1991940746_n.jpg

Better pic of the tank
527417_10150977688910278_118735470277_12913639_511124178_n.jpg

Until I get my throttle parts it requires three brake handles to operate- clutch on the left bar, gas on the top right and front brake on the bottom right.
541324_10150977688985278_118735470277_12913640_1617365061_n.jpg

cool bike! I wanna get one of those little 2-strokes for my bike, make my morning commute a little easier

udallcustombikes said:
yoothgeye said:
Did the boss offer to buy the motor or parts back?

I kept thinking he was going to demand it back, but it never happened.
It's always a shock to come across a stolen item, and not be able to get it back. I discovered a Hartke bass guitar at a local pawn shop over a year after it had been stolen. though I had filed a police report way back when, i couldn't prove it was mine so it's still sitting there.

I believe his motor and wrecked bike were auctioned off by the police after the case was disposed.

I got my new parts in the mail today and got it put together. It still wouldn't run right co I tore into the carb and found a few items I had reassembled incorrectly before. :oops: Once that was fixed I was able to get it out and run it up and down the block. After a few passed I let it cool down and began going through all the mount bolts and giving them the loctite treatment and torquing them down. In the process I broke a mounting strap and an exhaust stud. :x :x :x

I am compiling a list of the tasks I need to complete-
1. repair exhaust stud
2. replace motor mount band
3. dial in idle speed
4. Locate and install new forks/mount front wheel.
5. install head and tail lights

I guess I will get back on the project tomorrow.

It looks really good! It's nice that you've got both chains tensioned without using an idler. These things take a little tweaking and some ingenuity, but once you get it dialed in you're going to like it. 8)

There are a few places on the internet that sell high-grade stud replacement kits, and they have head studs kits as well. Those mounting straps can be made out of almost anything. Scrounging for materials is half the fun! A dual-pull brake handle will go a long ways towards cleaning up the handlebars, too.

Keep after it - it's looking good!

I took a little time this morning to tie up some loose ends. And I set the camera up on the tripod, set it to time lapse, and I got to work. Here are the good shots.

I started by removing the 24" forks. The smaller forks had a 7" steer tube and the I snatched a pair of MTB suspension forks off a bike in my scrap pile had a 6" steer tube. Here I am eyeballing the head tube to see if I can make up the missing 1".
IMG_1155.jpg

One of the nice things about working the overnight shift is that I can enjoy a Shiner at 8:30 am and not feel like I am doing something wrong.
IMG_1159.jpg

IMG_1168.jpg

Taking a 1/2" off the top and bottom of the head tube.
IMG_1178.jpg

It makes for a mean stance.
IMG_1190.jpg

Cleaning up the top edge of the head tube so the bearing cup will fit.
IMG_1193.jpg

Forks mounted and the stem being tightened up.
IMG_1201.jpg

Inspecting the bike
IMG_1207.jpg

I got this in a box full of plates at a garage sale several years ago. The rest of them are gone but this one I really liked. It was rusty and faded when I got it so I blasted it and painted it. Been waiting for this bike.
IMG_1211.jpg

Maybe I will work some more this afternoon...
IMG_1215.jpg

I got this tail light from pick a while back. I converted it to LED and it is now powered by a 6v generator I pulled off of something a while back. This evening I will mount a speedo and one of my blinky headlights and ride it to work.

IMAG1064.jpg

Last night's "shake down" ride taught me a few things-
1. Bicycle generators mounts are not designed for prolonged periods over 30mph.
IMG_1219.jpg

2.Bicycle speedometers also fail in these condition. Maybe that is why over 30 is in the red.
IMG_1224.jpg

3. A fuel leak on the bottom of the tank where someone had repaired a broken mounting stud. I repaired it with another fantastic product from the JB Weld line.
IMG_1228.jpg

Here is the bike as it currently sits.
IMG_1216.jpg

IMG_1217.jpg

IMG_1221.jpg

Here are some detailed pics of some of the features on the bike.
IMG_1218.jpg

MTB forks
IMG_1220.jpg

Vintage Tag
IMG_1222.jpg

Star Sprocket original to the bike
IMG_1223.jpg

Custom motor mount
IMG_1225.jpg

AS stamped seat post clamp
IMG_1226.jpg

Original seat
IMG_1227.jpg

Tail light and An 8 Ball
IMG_1232.jpg

udallcustombikes said:
Not too bad. They tickle your hands and feet at first, but it passes.

Same with mine, it worried me at first, but then I got over it. I am currently rebuilding my motorized bike.

Latest posts

Back