Bubbles. Hack n' slash 80's Raleigh

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a fairly long brake, I started on a new project.
Had a skip find, well 2 really, an early 70's Raleigh ladies bike and an early 80's one.
The 70's one was snapped up by me mum. And I was gonna sell the 80's one, but the more I looked at it the less I could be bothered to do it up so I could get some decent money.

Well first I stripped it back.
Photo0824.jpg

Then chucked some apes on.
Photo0825.jpg

Captain hack and slash took hold
Photo0828.jpg

Bended
Photo0829.jpg

I improved on the bend and made part of the old tube into a brace
Photo0830.jpg

A small gusset was made (from an 1 1/8 steerer tube, butted gusset ftw!) and a 'top tube' extension made up (just so happens that the end of a seat post fits inside the 'top tube', handy eh?)
Photo0833.jpg

How Bubbles sits now.
Photo0836.jpg

The plan may involve moving the bb and having a fairly funky chain-line, and a banana seat or layback post is in the mix. Its gonna be geared right down so I can use it brakeless.

Weldy time in the next couple of weeks

I think the local constable will be giving you a hard stare
whenever you ride this bike, and I mean that as a compliment :D

As luck would have (or not) it there is not a particularly large police presence in my area and the local plod is a very infrequent visitor.

Tbh their usually busy driving round looking for someone with a partially obscured numberplate or a brake light out whilst doing there best to ignore the real crimes going on :?

The first custom (ish) bike I built was a hack up job a bit along the lines of this, I'm not sure weather to lower the back end or leave it as is,

It will be getting a bannana seat, not a lot of choice in the collection, either gunna be a rusty one or a pink fluffy one, might get a leopard print one, too many choices.

you can probably steer that thing with your nipples. :lol:

Finally got some more done on it today, frame is welded, looks like the local pigeon has been in residence in some places but its nothing the grinder wont sort :wink:

Photo0903.jpg

Have made a tail dragger fender for it and done a rack, the weather is too bad to get it outside and the garage too cramped to take any decent photos might get some tomorrow if it aint' raining as per usual.

Right we had a break in the weather, so got some better photos, except the layback post.
Photo0915.jpg

I had to remove the reflector unfortunately as the fender hits the ground fairly regularly 8) the bolt that holds it on catches the tire and is a worryingly effective break :shock:

Photo0917.jpg

It has a pretty unique kickstand set up too :D

Photo0919.jpg

The best view in my opinion

Photo0916.jpg

Aint had a chance to ride it proper yet, weather changed back to rain, again

Latest posts

Back