what does everyone do for work?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
vanilla_gorilla said:
Zach, I work under the table with a funeral home sometimes, if they need a pall bearer or someone to pick up bodies, its def. an interesting gig.

The most prevailing misunderstanding 'outsiders' have of this trade is, that we predominantly deal with living people.
For a successful operation, people with a multitude of backgrounds and skill sets are a definite must have. What I really like is that the profession attracts many people that are a tad on the colourful side.

I lucked out big time. I joined the Navy in 1980 without any school or anything guaranteed. I was what they call "undesignated". I was going to be a deckhand as far as I knew. Then they awarded me weather school and I ran with it. I wound up later in The Florida National Guard then somehow forecasting for the war effort with the Air Force after 9-11. Then I retired, all by just working at it, no grand plan. Then the Navy contracted out all their weather offices and my company offered me one of the jobs, so here I am back with the Navy in the Jacksonville area where I joined the Navy 32 years ago, at the Weather office at Mayport.

a7d5u.jpg

DesignIt said:
Industrial Designer. Currently envious of abe lugo's job. 8)

Show me somebody with half a brain who isn't envious of abe lugo's job.

I want to see samples! I even say "please"!

Wildcat said:
I lucked out big time. I joined the Navy in 1980 without any school or anything guaranteed. I was what they call "undesignated". I was going to be a deckhand as far as I knew. Then they awarded me weather school and I ran with it. I wound up later in The Florida National Guard then somehow forecasting for the war effort with the Air Force after 9-11. Then I retired, all by just working at it, no grand plan. Then the Navy contracted out all their weather offices and my company offered me one of the jobs, so here I am back with the Navy in the Jacksonville area where I joined the Navy 32 years ago, at the Weather office at Mayport.

I can imagine worse things than working for a weather office in Florida. A lot worse actually.

After some stints as a Race Car Driver, Motorcycle Salvage Yard Owner, Bicycle Shop Owner, and a Sponsored Pro R/C Car Racer, I settled fulltime into the Family Owned 38 Acre Auto/Truck Salvage ("JUNK"... :D ) Yard.....

PantersAutoParts001.jpg

PantersAutoParts002.jpg

PantersAutoParts003.jpg

PantersAutoParts004.jpg

..."My Calling"..... 8)

Working on an automotive steel slitting line. Basically, put big coil of steel on one end, and it comes off the other end at whatever width and weight the customer wants........it's mind numbing....but the moneys good.

Currently unemployed mechanic. But I occasionally buy cars to fix and sell. I work on anything with wheels. So right now my official job title is "Hippy" :mrgreen:

For a day job, Im an aerospace cabinet builder. I build furniture for business jets like this and others larger and smaller.
Ratfink1962 said:
But I like to think of myself as an automotive artist (sculptor), and hope someday to do my car part art full time again someday.

Been away for a while ... but I still look at torn up stuff for insurance companies. Mostly autos, property hit by autos, farm equipment, construction equipment, truck and trailers ... Here's a few from the past few weeks to give you an idea.

Here's a repo ...
IMG_5778.jpg

Reefer trailer
IMG_5854.jpg

Lamp Post
IMG_5888.jpg

I'm told this guy was speeding
IMG_5960.jpg

And this guy stopped him
IMG_5979.jpg

The first time it Ices people forget how to drive on it
P1120023.jpg