Cuyahoga Crusader

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
This is my build for the bare metal build off. I started with a CWC frame, a 53 model Western Flyer, and a beehive springer from a women's JC Higgins. I've had the springer for years and finally had the fork tube welded up where there was a split. I stretched the springer out by mounting the flanges toward the front, giving it about 6 inches of wheelbase
It's gone through a few changes since the original plan, I started with a Sachs 3 speed w coaster, but I like the Bendix yellow band 2 speed better. So the tires don't match, it's a S-7, but it rides great.
14lkmyv.jpg

Wald sprocket will get the brass backplate I made up from a planter.
13ye07t.jpg

Using the bell I mounted a brass button to, with an engraved Cw.
2iij09c.jpg

Started with stripper, but the rasp and wire brush worked best to get the frame and forks down to bare metal.
w7yk37.jpg

Mounting a rear fender, made from a front fender. I've got another idea to hide the holes from the original mounting bracket.
14iiv7r.jpg

Picked up an old belt at the thrift store, I liked the skulls and pattern, maybe a hub shiner or something else. Steel wool works good on shining brass.

2vwadt2.jpg

Almost done, I'm surprised I got the fender modified and mounted and the brass plate on. Now just mounting the tag and removing paint from the rear wheel. I have a WF brass headbadge and CWC decal I can't find, so they won't be part of the complete bike for awhile. Might have it done tomorrow.

hx547k.jpg

nice bicycle and nice idea to cover the plate.

I know one very similar, if i find the picture i wil show you here, may you get an idea from it.

Here's the blank on the Silver Flyer, one of my annual build off bikes. It looks better on the spiral sprocket now. My daughter likes the bike but says it needs that other sprocket, the one with the reflectors. Too bad I traded it for tandem sprockets. The spiral works better on this bike though.

25kr04w.jpg

i35i6e.jpg

That's a standard beehive springer, off an old girl's JCHiggins. I think it's made by Murray. I wanted to put a shockmaster springer on it, because it's Cleveland Welding, but no luck getting a trade. But this beehive has the bottom brackets reversed to stretch it out forward, and I like the look of it better than a shockmaster. This was too big for my frame, but I luckily found an extra threaded washer that worked at the top to take up the slack.
Right after I wire brushed and steel wooled it, I waxed it right away, and used some old paste wax and went over it twice. That was a few weeks ago and no rust yet, it's been out on the porch exposed to the moisture and all.

That looks pretty neat!

I like..no...I love the idea of the brass! I have always wanted to build a copper/brass bike and I think having a brass crank would look great!

Nothin like some creativity!

I'm thinking of using a different rear hub again, this time a SA 3 speed w coaster from an 84 Emory girl's bike. Heavy duty spokes to boot. Untested but I am confident it has never been abused. I really wanted to use the pair of Lightning Darts, and this is a standard size rim so I'm in business!

1415cvp.jpg

I thought those tire were in good shape. In the photo I put in the finished bare metal bikes thread, I can see all the cracks. I better stay under 40 psi to prevent a blowout.

Well, the wax didn't keep the rust away, it rusted up overnight when we had heavy fog. It sits out on the screen porch. So maybe it'll get clearcoat or maybe paint. Chocolate brown with orange trim might look good.

fbyebn.jpg

I had to do something while waiting on the annual build-off, so I made some changes to make the bike. A bare metal seat sounds uncomfortable, but it rides great. Added whitewalls so the Lightning darts get used elsewhere.

30syj2q.jpg

Latest posts

Back