Another Schwinn

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Body: Kokomo, In... Mind: in the gutter. Soul: in
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well I went out this morning to take the '68 Schwinn Hollywood for it's maiden voyage. Rode great but rear wheel still needs some attention. Anyway I saw a guy cleaning out his garage and saw this Schwinn sitting in his driveway, I asked about it and he gave the whole "I'm going to restore it someday" speech. Well I noticed hanging in his garage a collection of oddities unicycles, a swing-bike, and a few odd tricycles. So I said, "Hey I have something you'd love, a skate-bike." He said go grab it (only a block away) I did and the trade was made. It's a little rusty but overall not bad.
It's a 1956 Schwinn American (Serial # V73649)
P8050086.jpg

I love this style of script
P8050087.jpg

Fenders look really nice
P8050088.jpg

Chain guard is still readable...barely
P8050089.jpg

Has a rather nice seat
P8050090.jpg

and another Bendix but not a red band
P8050092.jpg

Now I can stop tripping over this thing

P5250048.jpg

does anyone know if an OA bath will hurt the paint? I don't want to loose the original paint just get rid of the rust.

I asked, he said he might someday but not any time soon. I figure I'm going to keep asking every time I go by there and maybe he'll come off of it in time. :mrgreen:

Started tear down last night and got it mostly blown apart.
Did a test spot with just water and an old toothbrush to see if the color would come back to life and I have to say it don't look too bad.
P8060005.jpg

P8060006.jpg

Thought I had a pic of the grips before but I guess not, I got them off the bars, Schwinn teardrop script red grips
P8060008.jpg

Even the seat post says Schwinn on it
P8060012.jpg

Well it holds air but I wouldn't recommend riding it
P8060001.jpg

Another Schwinn tube!
P8060004.jpg

Got the rear hub out and cleaned, I forgot to take a before pic but you can see it still in the wheel in the pics above. Would you believe this beauty was hiding under all that crud?
P8060017.jpg

Here's the front hub out and ready for cleaning, it is a bit rusty but should come clean Just waiting till I get some OA
P8060018.jpg

Latest posts

Back