When is there too Much Patina?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's funny, another patina thread here. 8)

But for this one please consider my '59 Jaguar that I'm resto-ing (see the deets in the Build area). She's in great shape and is not showing her age...except in the paint department. I've heard that patina is desireable...but how much is too much?

Before you Just say "repaint" consider the work, time and cost I will have to incur. Additionally and conversely I'm not sure if I'll ever sell the bike either. Maybe I dont care what it's worth, I just want to ride it with the fam and have fun. I just don't know.

Here's a before pic, and then one after many hours of scrubbing and polishing.

Before:

IMG_3366.jpg

After:

IMG_3430.jpg

Not much better huh? :? Is this just too much patina and age? Or should I just go with it?

What are your thoughts?

Nate

try a Mr. Clean magic eraser. Wet it with water first....those things are pretty incredible!
It may dull the paint some, but wax should bring it back.

It's your call, there are thousands of these frames around. If you like it shiny, then paint it. Personally, I'd leave it OG, but I tend to leave them all that way, even the rusty ones.

My worthless opinion...

If you know how to remove a Schwinn kickstand,you already know what you want to do with it.

Its your bike.Do what YOU want,not what we think.

Those Schwinn "flamboyant" colors are a candy apple transparent tint over a silver metallic base coat. They don't do "patina" very well. and they don't "clean up", "buff out" or otherwise resurrect very well. I'm afraid when they are gone, they are gone. Take a little time to decide whether you like it or not. It may grow on you.

if you can't let people near it without making sure their tetnus shots are up to date, there's probaly too much patina

I have this same dilemma, I am so use to restoring bikes for my program that I feel compelled to restore my 60's Murray but everyone loves the patina on it. I want to do a tribute bike to autism, and that requires painting it. I'm new on the Rat Rod scene so I also want to keep to the culture. I can understand philphine's concern.

You can't have too much patina! Technically a "rat Rod" is supposed to be rusty! I'd just clean it up and say it is what it is. a few pinstripes wouldn't hurt though... 8)

Rust holes that let you see inside the tubing is too much. If that was mine, I'd probably either give it a rust inhibitor wipe and buff it, or strip it down and shoot it with some chassis black. Big help, right? :mrgreen:

Bikeguy7497 said:
You can't have too much patina! Technically a "rat Rod" is supposed to be rusty! I'd just clean it up and say it is what it is. a few pinstripes wouldn't hurt though... 8)

+1 In my opinion you can't have too much patina unless you can see daylight through it. You can do a paint job in a few hours, but patina takes years!

This is one of my favorite bikes! It does have a chain now though & is a great rider!
greybike006.jpg

pick said:
Bikeguy7497 said:

+1 In my opinion you can't have too much patina unless you can see daylight through it. You can do a paint job in a few hours, but patina takes years!

This is one of my favorite bikes! It does have a chain now though & is a great rider!
greybike006.jpg
great bike.

SSG said:
I like to carefully knock off any loose rust and cover the whole thing with clear to bring the gloss back.
Jchigginsrat7.jpg

So that's your secret... :mrgreen:

You should see the bike I'm building for my wife. It's so ugly, it's beautiful. I likes me some patina/rust, primer, bare metal or just plain old faded paint.

Latest posts

Back