Help me name my new (to me) Cycle Truck

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had always admired the Cycle Truck/Cargo Bikes of the 30s and 40s, so when I found a stripped frame of a regular 26" mens bike, I thought it would be a great project. I lengthened the steering tube, cut and lowered the bottom tube to meet, and then extended a fork from a 20" bike to match the lengthened steering tube. I added a second top tube to make a sign holder. I mounted the wheels and built the support mechanism for a Wald basket.

Summer2011005.jpg

I took it for a quick spin and found it handled very well, but the first time I turned the handlebars sharply, I was disoriented by the fact that the basket does not turn with the handlebars. At first I thought I had forgotten to tighten them up! But I quickly adjusted, and I can see how someone could carry a lot of weight without upsetting the balance of the bike.
I need to add the rear fender (and a luggage rack), and I am off to the sign shop to have some sort of advertising message on the panel in between the tubing. So, this is the reason for my posting. What wording would our forum members suggest to place on the metal panel between the bars?
I will post pictures of the final result.
Thanks in advance,
Tom

Maybe reproduce a colorful label from some Bartlett pears. Okay, dumb idea, but it would sure add some color to your cycle truck. Nice build, by the way. Gary
Fruit_Crate_Big_City_Bartlett_Pears_3x2.jpg

nEjb.jpg

A great looking build/bike. Color will off-set the nice neutral finish. I suggest 1/2 inch MDO for the tank plate. Any sign shop will know what it is & how to protect/finish the edges. If you wish you could have multiple signs that easily interchange. A great looking bike/project. Hope you share photos when you decide!

Growing up in inner city New Orleans, the sandwich (Po' Boy) shops at the time would delivheir d their delivery guys always rode these bikes. I'd suggest "Just a Po' Boy" in some really neat script on the panel. Poor ........ never made more than a dime a delivery...even then, it was still just a dime.

We went on vacation down in Argentina last year and here are some of the Cycle Trucks we saw in use.

IMG_38991.jpg

IMG_39001.jpg
IMG_39191.jpg
IMG_39461.jpg
IMG_39481.jpg
IMG_39491.jpg
IMG_45451.jpg
IMG_45921.jpg

You need yourself one of these

IMG_2343.jpg

Nice bike, some detailed photos would be very much appreciated (by me, at least).
I have no idea what to write on my own bike, I am not able to suggest anything.
And Kingfish: thanks for the pictures, stole them all.

Latest posts

Back