Folding Muscle

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This old 20" Amica folding bike has been sitting in a corner forever. I was doing some cleaning yesterday and happened to pull it out and look at it. Well then a spark went off, why not make a stingray looking folding bike?
As it sat.
002-1.jpg

Slapped on an old schwinn rear slick, axle mount sissy bar, and mocked up the chainguard. So far everything is gonna fit pretty good. You just have to picture a white nanner seat and tall apes/white grips to get the full effect. Will have progress pics soon..
085.jpg

This is the Amica folder that was my wife's ride when she was in elementary school, it hung in her parents garage for 20 years and sat in our shed for 8 more before I finally pulled it out and got it going again. She still loves it. Don't ever lose your seatpost by the way............
DSC00563.jpg

Pretty cool matco, thanks for posting that.
Found some bars that look good (at least to me). Need to order a front tire and nanner seat. Also need to put a longer axle in the rear hub so I can bolt down the sissy bar.
088.jpg

Try to get a schwinn crank set for that too! If you are really feeling lucky, try to cut out the rear rack and weld on a somewhat schwinn looking set to replace it. I hope you get a schwinn stingray seat too! Looking good though.

Craiggo said:
Try to get a schwinn crank set for that too! If you are really feeling lucky, try to cut out the rear rack and weld on a somewhat schwinn looking set to replace it. I hope you get a schwinn stingray seat too! Looking good though.

A one piece crank/mag sprocket would be cool, but this thing has cottered cranks and a euro bottom bracket, just gonna leave as is. I plan on using a white generic banana seat, gotta keep this build on the el cheapo :wink:

SOUNDS LIKE A PLAN. YA DID GREAT ON YA BUILD OFF BIKE BY THE WAY!! I SEE YA BACK AT IT SO...GET TA BUILDIN'!! PEACE

Digging the folding rat. I am big into folding bikes, so I will be watching this build.
You could just wrap the bottom of the sissy bar around the chainstay and bolt two holes together.
Sometimes those italian bottom brackets can have weird dimensions, so it may be better to keep the existing crank.

necessaryevil said:
Craiggo said:

A one piece crank/mag sprocket would be cool, but this thing has cottered cranks and a euro bottom bracket, just gonna leave as is. I plan on using a white generic banana seat, gotta keep this build on the el cheapo :wink:
I guess I didnt think of that :mrgreen: :oops: :mrgreen:

I like your idea of a banana seat on your Italian folder.
I have a Italian folding tandem. Maybe I will make a three foot long banana seat and connect it to the front seatpost all the way back to the rear axle and then put some monster apes on it. :p :p

IMG_6409.jpg

The tandem folder is pretty cool! I have never seen one of those before. You COULD make the first ever tandem swingbike :idea: :p

necessaryevil said:
The tandem folder is pretty cool! I have never seen one of those before. You COULD make the first ever tandem swingbike :idea: :p

Not with this heavy beast!!! It weighs more than a 26" tandem I used to have.
Believe it or not, they actually made a triple seater of this bike as well as a side by side tandem.
I have seen a few other folding rats on this forum. I think there is even one called Lil Guido.
Can't wait for you to get your seat in to see yours.

Well, it's almost done, just waiting for my front tire. Not sure yet if I want to mess with paint, right now just have fun with it. I have an idea for a new name on the chainguard, gotta make a stencil.
001-1.jpg

Looking fun and good.
Maybe you should edit the Schwinn part to Skynyrd in the Schwinn script.

Cue up some good old Soutern Rock --- "oh yes they call me the Breeze, I keep movin' down the road" -----

I have one of these that I got and am just now deciding to do something with it. I like what you are doing. As far as the don't lose the seatpost comment , mine was rusted stuck and got destroyed taking it out. I was lucky enough that the seat post was the right diameter and super long!

Latest posts

Back