John Doe No. 438

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that all jewelry, personal effects and accessories have been removed, the recovery process begins. We are starting with a bone dry skeleton with only remnants of epidermal layers still remaining.
2011-06-17180134.jpg

Most of epidermus almost non-existant. There is evidence that, although the ravages of time as well as the aftermath of whatever events led to the demise of our subject have almost oblitered most of the outer layers, there are a few areas that appear to have been protected by splotches of dried lubricant and grease.
2011-06-17181658.jpg

WASH - RINSE - REPEAT
The Road To Recovery
A liberal amount of salve is applied thoroughly with a shop rag. Let stand 24 - 48 hours.
REPEAT
med_marvel.jpg

2011-06-17191147.jpg

2011-06-17191225.jpg

2011-06-17191307.jpg

All that we can do now is wait.

Funny how beauty standards work...
Wile some of us would try our best trying to create or simulate that exceptional rust patina,
others want clean shiny metal. :D

Now leaving that reflection behind,
subject is looking great, awesome work is being done on the lab.

The fork has been scraped with single edge razor blade, lightly sanded, and rubbed out with #00 fine steel wool. Wipe down thorougly with clean shop rag.
2011-06-22184312.jpg

Once treated, close inspection confirms theory that entire fork was undoubtedly originaly plated with Nickel.
2011-06-22183804.jpg

A final step will be a rub with denatured alc. to remove remains of a coating of aluminum enamel probably applied later in life to conceal the effects of time and hard use.
2011-06-22183917.jpg

I feel like I'm watching an episode of CSI and the autopsy was successful. Continue Doctor.

I interrogated the next door neighbor who has lived here far longer. He recounted stories of shooting scores of rabbits in my back yard with a prior resident. I thought some of those holes in the main tubes looked like bullet holes... o o o 0 0 0 O O O

Agent Rick.
bicycle forensicologist.

During what was a very encouraging examination of the progress of his surface healing after only four treatment applications, another anatomical characteristic was noted as being significant information for our inquiry into the identity of the subject.
1. The Bottom Bracket Shell is offset from the centerline of the frame. The right side measures 44mm from center, while the left side is only 41mm. The overall width of the shell being 85mm, this is certainly too great a difference to be considered an oversight by his creator.

2011-07-08133558.jpg

2. Also found during said examination were the faintly visable numbers 2-6-2 stamped into the right side of the seat pin lug.

More questions and still no answers.

While treatments are taking place, some of the few posessions the victim still had were being cleaned, restored, and readied to be reunited with their owner when he is well enough to accomodate them.

2011-07-11183350.jpg

This humble writer cannot help but wonder at the tenacity with which our chief inspector has attacked this most mystifying problem. What unusual character makeup would drive one so?

2011-07-08121935.jpg

Is he just curious? There must be more to it than that.

the offset was probably something standard during that time to provide the clearence space for the chainring

i think is one of these

1914Peerless.jpg

looks awesome!!

axsepul said:
the offset was probably something standard during that time to provide the clearence space for the chainring

i think is one of these

1914Peerless.jpg

looks awesome!!
Bring him in to try to identify the body.........Then do some "interrogation" on him.....I think he could be a prime suspect.

Well, Here it is August 1 already and although we didn't make the deadline, we are most encouraged by the John's progress. The fork has completely recovered and the main frame is at ninety percent and improving daily. The team has begun preparations to re-install the few components which were still in his possession when he arrived.
2011-08-01163050.jpg

Thanks to all the other builders who were amazing.

This build will continue and can be followed on the link below
http://fivespeedjaak.blogspot.com/

Latest posts

Back