Genesis Onyx 29" Cruiser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
crispy_rat said:
Thats a pretty cool bike for the price. I am 6'4 so it may just work fine for me. There are some other possibilities for this bike as well.

If you read through the feedback, most of the posters are tall guys. One them says that he is going throw ape hangers on that bad boy!

I spotted one of these on the 3rd and already 'virtually' chopped it up to see the possibilities using parts I already had. OCC Stingray triple tree, the Onyx and my frame design from a previous thread, slightly changed... :D

i-66hfXjG-XL.jpg

107.84" long

Undecided, still have to check it out more in person to see if it's something I'd like to pursue.

Troy

Envision said:
I spotted one of these on the 3rd and already 'virtually' chopped it up to see the possibilities using parts I already had. OCC Stingray triple tree, the Onyx and my frame design from a previous thread, slightly changed... :D

i-66hfXjG-XL.jpg

107.84" long

Undecided, still have to check it out more in person to see if it's something I'd like to pursue.

Troy
The pics alone are cool! Would love to see the real thing. 8)

it is a cool sketch but all youd be using from the original bike is the wheels. why not just build a frame from scratch and keep the 29" cruiser. I thought about getting one of these also but doing a few small mods to the frame to make it unique

It would use everything but the head tube, handlebars, and forks, just reconfigured, modified and added to. If you look at all the existing tubes, many of them have nearly the right shape in different areas of each bike, just move them around and add a couple. Top section of the rear triangle will need to be cut to change the angle too, but it would all work. $200 29" stretch cruiser...

Troy

Here's A quick photoshop rendition...

project2.jpg

add a tube and some apes and she don't look too bad!

I saw a guy riding one of these yesterday. It's actually a good looking bike.

I got one of these a while back for a daily beater and really like it. Its a BIG BIKE! Kind of like riding a horse. I find your myself looking down at people(literally). I havent done much to it just ditched the stock pedals,put an all black chain on, and switched the front fender to the rear end. Oh and added a sweet airplane wind toy! Some day I plan on building a new set of wheels for it with sturmey archer drum brake hubs. Here it is in the back of my truck next to my 24" race bike.
onyxandredline.jpg

I had that bike for a little while. The frame and overall design is really sweet and high quality but I had problems with my wheels and bottom bracket real fast. I am 5'10" and it fit me fine, even with the seat up about 5" or so. The top tube comes down really low below the seat so you don't have to be a really tall person to ride this bike. I miss that bike, but I do love my Nirve even more.

I read some good reviews on it but, one caught my eye. One fella had to contact Kent International to get some parts for his and was told that they didn't offer anything. I guess that works ok if you are going to rat one but, to keep it like it is and have to get replacement parts, you would have to go to a more expensive 29er cruiser makers. Could be an expensive bike to own in the long run. They seem to be moving off the racks so maybe in a couple years, c list will be plagued with these suckers. lol.

El Whoppo said:
I got one of these a while back for a daily beater and really like it. Its a BIG BIKE! Kind of like riding a horse. I find your myself looking down at people(literally). I havent done much to it just ditched the stock pedals,put an all black chain on, and switched the front fender to the rear end. Oh and added a sweet airplane wind toy! Some day I plan on building a new set of wheels for it with sturmey archer drum brake hubs. Here it is in the back of my truck next to my 24" race bike.
onyxandredline.jpg

Man, it is a beast huh? Pretty cool. That race bike is pretty slick too.

I'd say buy it for the wheels and other parts, but as for modding the frame, unless you weld aluminum yourself, it's not going to be an easy mod, or cheap.

I finally saw one today here at the Walmart in Myrtle Beach, as someone already posted (in another thread about this bike) there's a sign on the bike that says "Pick me up, I'm light, give me a try" something like that. The last person said it was on the top rack and he couldn't get to it, the one I saw today was on the bottom back, but the front and back wheel had multiple zip ties holding it firmly to the rack so it couldn't be picked up, but the other bikes, no zip ties! Ugh. I want one.

I had the same experience CK, the frame was worth keeping but in the long run a higher quality bike was worth it. If i was in love with the frame it would have been worth it but there are better bikes to be had for not much more money.... It is a big, tall beautiful bike and if you had some coin to drop on good components it would be a sick cruiser.....

It is a light bike. It weighs nothing for its size. The bag of wrenches you (will need to) carry will weigh more than the bike lol.

One thing to keep in mind too... The rims are a deep dish 29 so tubes are not always readily available at most shops. I know Bontrager and Continental manufacture tubes that will fit but as far as most brand names.... it won't always be an easy task. The tubes that came with my bike didn't hold air . Airing up every 3-4 days. The valve stem length is an oddball.

I wondered about the valve stem length myself. As far as components go I knew what I was getting into when I bought it.It was $160 wallyworld bike after all! :) I've already got some cranks waitin for the day these go south and I plan on a new wheelset down the road as well.

I looked around for another option But didn't really find anything that I liked in a 29" cruiser. Now SE has just come out with a good looking cruiser. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=44373 If I'd of known what they were up to I probably would of waited. What are some of the cruisers you guys have seen in a 29" ? I looked at Phat cycles but didn't really like the frames too much.

If I had any real chopping and welding skills Id be trying to make myself a stretch 29 out of a few of these things!

You need the 48mm stem most are 32mm you can barely get an air hose clamped on with a deep rim, have the same problem on my Halo Freedom disc 29er rims.

Too bad nobody makes one of these frames in 29er
http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/x-post-40s-schwinn-29er-377454.html
329865d1201390835-klunker-project-photo-update-p1260003.jpg

El Whoppo said:
I wondered about the valve stem length myself. As far as components go I knew what I was getting into when I bought it.It was $160 wallyworld bike after all! :) I've already got some cranks waitin for the day these go south and I plan on a new wheelset down the road as well.

I looked around for another option But didn't really find anything that I liked in a 29" cruiser. Now SE has just come out with a good looking cruiser. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=44373 If I'd of known what they were up to I probably would of waited. What are some of the cruisers you guys have seen in a 29" ? I looked at Phat cycles but didn't really like the frames too much.

If I had any real chopping and welding skills Id be trying to make myself a stretch 29 out of a few of these things!

Latest posts

Back