* GROUND ZERO * (Now I can have a cold one!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: * GROUND ZERO * (New tank and ride pics!)

Cool tank Rob :D Nice bike :p

Thanks again everyone for the nice comments. Wish I had more to report but it's been raining steady for about 48 hrs... so I went looking for a little inspiration and found it in the form of this:

Gasser pickup:
2834710465_430f9190ff_z.jpg

(Thanks for Studie62 at Flickr for the pic.)

Got the high front end, the orange rims, and even the keg fuel tank. Old school hot rod all the way.

Reminds me of one of my favorite books from when I was young- I still have it, it's called simply "Drag Racing" and it's from 1970.... the top fuelers and funny cars were turning 6.6 sec quarter miles, and most of them still had the engine in front of the driver. There are tons of good pics of Hemi's, Halibrand wheels, long-haired fans, the shoe-polish numbers on the windows, slicks wrinkling and smoking in burnouts... good stuff. It's what I grew up reading and I've had that book at least 30 years. Gearhead from birth, what can I say!

More soon,

--Rob

Those bars are great!

how much flex are in your bars? not saying it's a bad thing. i think it just ads to the characteristics of the ride!

About time I did an update instead of just lookin' in on everyone else's rides!

My work got put on hold for a bit with a dozen other projects, some of which had nothing at all to do with bikes (weird, huh?) and I was waiting on a set of rims.

We rejoin this story now:

Saturday July 30: Picked up long delayed rims and parts. Front wheel was not able to be built as I wanted but rear finished up nicely. Sturmey TCW coaster-3 with 24x2.125 ATB steel rim:

rwheel32.jpg

Twisted spokes! Oh very nice! And an NOS coaster strap (they cost 28c in the package, btw.)

rwheel35.jpg

Shifter cable and stop from a 1971 CCM Galaxie ladies 3-speed. Rusty as anything, bent, and works nice!

rwheel40.jpg

Went with the front wheel I've been using, another 24" Roadmaster (yuck!) ATB wheel.

fwheel42.jpg

Masked off and painted the rim still assembled. Wish it was a little more true. Well it was free...

fwheel33.jpg

A little break in the assembly work...

gzassembly34.jpg

More coming...

Sunday July 31st:

Debated a lot on how to mount the RRB license plate. It wouldn't fit on the rack. It would get bent on the frame, most likely. The keg tank turned out to be the perfect place. I reshaped it over my porch railing and slipped it under the clamps.

gzkeg39.jpg

Shifter cable works pretty nicely turned around and following a cantilever tube. The routing was painless.

gzrolling41.jpg

One final detail needed:

gzrolling38.jpg

Built Not Bought! And with that, Ground Zero is done!

gzrolling37.jpg

Time to take her out on the town for some scenery, ocean breezes, and action shots.

Presenting Ground Zero!

finished52.jpg

finished59.jpg

finished53.jpg

What's this? Something following me around! :lol:

finished46.jpg

finished45.jpg

Enjoying sunset on the pier:

finished59.jpg

finished56.jpg

finished55.jpg

finished54.jpg

Looking good!

finished66.jpg

finished71.jpg

Time for a ride!

ridinggz78.jpg

ridinggz77.jpg

Hope you've enjoyed reading about this one as much as I've enjoyed putting it together!

See you in the Finished Bikes! Congratulations and thanks to all the other builders for your dedication, creativity, and inspiration.

--Rob

Hey Ratcycle--

The details of that were here at the end of page 3...

http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=39924&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=30

The shifter is a normal Sturmey trigger shifter, from a 70's girl's model. I used my grinding wheel to notch the sides of the trigger lever (the old ones are solid steel). Then I ran a 1/4-20 die over it (needed the notches to get the threads to start). A 1/4-20 coupling nut (basically a long threaded piece of hex stock) went over that.

The shift lever is 1/4-20 threaded rod. I made a couple bends in it with a tubing bender, but you could bend that material with a vise and hammer or other means. For the shift knob, I drilled into the side of a billiard ball. They're phenolic plastic, and easy to drill- almost too easy. Drill goes in like butter. Easy to tap as well though it likes to get very hot and grab the tap a little bit. Tapped about 3/4 in. into the ball.

Put heat shrink tubing over the rod, put on one regular nut and threaded the ball over it. Once the ball is installed you might want to unscrew it and use Loctite to keep it tight. Shrink down the heat shrink for a finished look.

Note that Sturmey clamps are designed for a 7/8" handlebar. The bigger frame tube required creativity and a long, bent screw to make it mount where I did.

zeroshifter2.jpg

zeroshifter1.jpg

zeroshifter3.jpg

ratcycle said:
how did u make that shifter? I want to try to make something like that.

Latest posts

Back