68 SCHWINN FASTBACK

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
This one popped up on the CL last night and I'm sure all of the collectors in the DFW saw it. I didn't respond until it had been listed for 30 minutes. He wasn't giving it away, but after seeing a larger photo of it and talking with the owner I felt like it would be a good investment.

The seller was the original owner of the bike and had save money via a paper route as a kid to buy the bike. He had kept it all of these years and about 8-10 years ago he took it down from the attic and had a local bike shop install some correct Schwinn tires. The bike was never ridden and it went back in the attic. The seller was about to move so he decided to put it up for sale last night. Fortunately for me it was about 10 minutes from my office and he offered to meet at lunch time today to show the bike.

I was shocked to see how nice it was and even the rear tire still has the packing powder still on it. The only real flaws that I can see are the rip in the seat and a dent in the front fender. Looking forward to going over this one since it will be super easy to really make it SHINE! :mrgreen:

IMG_0656.jpg

IMG_0654.jpg

IMG_0655.jpg

IMG_0658.jpg

IMG_0661.jpg

IMG_0659.jpg

IMG_0662.jpg

IMG_0660.jpg

IMG_0665.jpg

IMG_0663.jpg

Now call that number I gave you so you can have "his and hers" in very nice condition and same color.

Oh man...it may look nice now...but just wait. :mrgreen:

I'm just relieved that I don't have to buy tires! :lol:

tuga said:
Now call that number I gave you so you can have "his and hers" in very nice condition and same color.

Here's the irony to this....I used the money I got from selling the DB to buy it...ha ha! :lol:

I think I would call this one your second best find :wink: First one being the 1964 Schwinn Sting-Ray :mrgreen: Nice find and can't wait to see your detail job :D

wow man that things in awesome shape! makes my fastback look like a ... well yours is nicer lol

I just got a set of those repop tires for mine also

Rat Rod said:
tuga said:

Here's the irony to this....I used the money I got from selling the DB to buy it...ha ha! :lol:

And what do you plan on buying with all that Hutch money you will be getting in about 40 minutes? 8)

Rat Rod said:
Paying for a recent E-Room visit unfortunately. :cry:

Sorry to hear that. Maybe you can work your detailing magic and polish up the staples and paper clips that come with the hospital bill to flip for a profit? You never know, it will be autographed by the owner of Ratrodbikes.com...gotta be worth somethin'! :lol:

I may be overusing the word lately, but I can't help it! -AWESOME!!!!!! I had an orange twin of that in the 80s, one of very few bikes I let get away! -Adam

How possible is it that the stem on this thing could be bent?

When I tried to ride it last night I could swear the handlebars felt crooked...like the stem was bent causing one side of the bars to be higher than the other.

Maybe it's more likely that the bars are bent than the stem???

Rat Rod said:
How possible is it that the stem on this thing could be bent?

When I tried to ride it last night I could swear the handlebars felt crooked...like the stem was bent causing one side of the bars to be higher than the other.

Maybe it's more likely that the bars are bent than the stem???

Ive had schwinn stems that were bent before. Look at the bike head on and you'll be able to tell whats bent

I"ve been able to put a pipe through and pull them back

Latest posts

Back