Diamond Frame Flying Merkel DONE!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Diamond Frame Flying Merkel 1/28 Crusty Saddle

So after some dead time on this build, and after surviving the Snowpocalypse mid week, I got to spend some time in the shop back home tonight.

First, I removed the chain from the bicycle. Earlier I scratched my head at the lack of a master link, but using an old awl and a nail I punched out a pin and freed the chain. I am the master link! :roll:

IMG_1977.jpg

IMG_1982.jpg

Next, I tackled the rear fender bracket. This had been broken off at some point (before I owned the bicycle) and had been held on with a piece of bent wire. Ratty! But noisy when riding. Since the bracket was nickle plated steel, I fashioned a brass tab for it and soldiered it into place. Here's the photo journey...

IMG_1991.jpg

IMG_1995.jpg

IMG_1999.jpg

IMG_2000.jpg

IMG_2003.jpg

IMG_2004.jpg

IMG_2005.jpg

IMG_2008.jpg

Finally, giddied from the overall sucess of the evening, I decided to see what my terrific truss rods would look like

IMG_1986.jpg

IMG_1985.jpg

Awesome, but too long. Criminently! So this will become a project too. I'm thinking either:

Difficult route: Bend the tubes near the end so that when meeting up with the drop outs on the fork, the trusses will be shorter.

Difficult-er: Mash the ends of the trusses up even more, drill new holes, cut away the excess.

Stupid: Cut the trusses in the middle, remove some sections, run a smaller OD tube inside and close it back up (mind you I don't have a welder).

Easy: un-do the trusses from the top clip, trim them, touch up the bends, re-install.

What will I do? Time will tell :| Please feel free to weigh in, sage advice is appreciated!

Tomorrow I hope ot log a bit of time in the media blaster at my place of employment to clean up the seat and truss rods, do some preliminary priming, rip the wheels to pieces, and probably break something. Stay tuned!

Re: Diamond Frame Flying Merkel 2/4 progress

Didn't get as much done as I had though I might yesterday, but did accomplish a few things. I solved the truss dilema- with the headset hardware on it was just a smidge long, so I was able to elongate the two holes that the axel passes through and get it to sit right. I wish more problems were this simply sorted :roll:

I also media blasted the trusses clean, as well as the crusty old saddle- take a peek!

IMG_2010.jpg

IMG_2011.jpg

IMG_2014.jpg

Cleaned up real nice, and I'm clear coating it to keep it from rusting again. There's some pitting on the parts (obviously the pan is cratered like a freshman's face) but it's pretty good. Although after some deliberation, I don't think I'll be using this saddle. The hardware for mounting won't fit my 7/8 custom seat post (which I will not be without), and the over all asthetic isnt really what I'm going for. I'm hoping to track down a brown leather seat (new) with some good chrome exposed springs, or any kind of longspring saddle, which I would media blast and re-cover. What do you think?

I'm still looking for a few parts that might really put the finishing touches on this:

Seat (something like this I'm hoping! I realize the 'real Merkel' didnt have springs like this)
overman1.jpg

Handlebars (I can't find this shape anywhere! Help?)
4494-FlyingMerkel92181.jpg

Antique-y 9/16 pedals, cool old grips and maybe some neat odds and ends to add to the boardtrack feel :mrgreen:

Stay tuned for out next installment, 'Too many bearings: more balls than a school district worth of recreation closets'

IMG_2018.jpg

Re: Diamond Frame Flying Merkel 2/5 seat? parts?

Great progress!
I have a Hedbadge-less Phillips bike, what are your plans for yours???

Gdcast- I'm not entirely sure yet, I'll probably be removing it (I'll want to do so carefully so it can be used again!) and when I do, I will let you know and can send it your way :D

very cool diamond frame build you have going! 8) really like the way the wooden tank came out. wished i was better at woodworking! :lol: you really should have that fork straightened though. when its painted and finished,the bent fork will stick out like a sore thumb! :wink:

Thanks Strings! I would love that :wink:
I just noticed in a pic from above that you have a super cool steam punk keyboard, would you please post some pics of it? I would really love to build one of those.

ya, that keyboard is the coolest ever.

Not a problem Gd, I know things like that can be tough to find and can also definitly 'make' a bike :D

Haha good eye on the keyboard! Bicycles are my latest hobby, I've been doing steampunk pieces for a few years now and violin construction, repair and restoration since 2004. Here's the link to my gallery/blog where you can see some of my other pieces (I go by the moniker 'Victor Ian', say it a few times or look at the spelling to get it :wink: )

http://gentlemantinker.blogspot.com/

Here's a shot of the keyboard (more in the blog as well as some instructions :D )
Keyboard4.jpg

And a few slightly older pics of some of my instrument collection, taken in 2009
instnew.jpg

IMG_0242.jpg

Haha and I realize I have now 'hijacked' my thread :lol: I'll post some about these in an off topic forum too

Wow Victor, you are a true artist!
I will probably bother you with some more tips on that Keyboard,
I been wanting to build one for a long while.
Thanks for the quick response! :wink:

I recieved word today that member Axsepul (who is making the signature decals for the tank) has recieved the plates and is getting the text mocked up. Based on the preliminary pics he sent me I think it's going to look AMAZING!

After consulting with Axsepul, here's what he came up with:

flyingmerkel3.jpg

All I can say is WOW!!! I think he totally nailed it!! Alex is a terrific guy, and has the patience of a saint to deal with my nit-picking for slant, script, etc.

I was going to save this and post when they were done, but I just can't contain myself! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Re: Diamond Frame Flying Merkel 2/4 progress

Strings_and_steam said:
Stay tuned for out next installment, 'Too many bearings: more balls than a school district worth of recreation closets'

IMG_2018.jpg

:lol: LOL! :lol:

Great job on the bike!

Your gallery/blog is full of awesome stuff!

The keyboard is top notch and my son's, 8&9 years old....would love to see that Nerf gun :wink:

Keep up the great work!

Re: Diamond Frame Flying Merkel 2/10 EXCITEMENT!

Thank you for the kind words Skipton! Nerf guns like that are fairly easy to take apart and paint, the outside and 'slide' both come apart into two halves which are very easy to paint up (I spray bomb them) and then can be detailed however one chooses. I make them and sell them, tho it would be an easy and fun weekend project for you and the boys if you wanted to give it a shot :D The guns sell in stores for only about $10 (at least around here) so its not a very expensive project either :mrgreen:

WOW Alex works fast! I just got these cell phone pics of the tank plates from him

flyingmerkeldone1.jpg

How cool is THAT?!?!?!?! Brilliant work Alex, thank you so much!!

I'm happier than a pig in swill :mrgreen:

When I returned from classes today, here's what I found in a box by my door...

IMG_2030.jpg

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

These seriously turned out nicer than I ever expected, I am simply blown away! Kudos to you Axsepul! This man is a true artist!

I couldn't resist this shot :wink:

IMG_2035.jpg

I also got my grips for this bike, an old pair of Felt grips (missign the chrome-y bits). I cut off the rubber extensions on the 'top', and will either fashion some bar plugs myself or just leave them open. ...Unless someone has some spare end plugs for these kind of grips for cheap? :wink:

IMG_2029.jpg

Re: Diamond Frame Flying Merkel 2/14 tanks a million!

Oooooh... I like it :shock:

OOhhh!!! Turning out nice... I´m loving it!

Thanks guys, it means a lot to me to get feedback :D

Sorry there havnt been many real 'building' updates, the bike and wheels are all back in my hometown workshop (an hour away). I'm hoping to bring them back down here soon, and with the weather warming up get to some more painting and assembling :mrgreen: Its tough being in an apartment with no space to paint but the 'great' outdoors. Its Milwaukee... :roll: :wink:

I do have a different set of forks on the way to replace the bent ones on this bike, I'm hoping they will fit and work for this (the origionals from 'The Auction Rat' that have been generously paid-foreward to me :D ) and if they don't, expect to see them back under the pay it foreward thread.

Strings_and_steam said:
When I returned from classes today, here's what I found in a box by my door...

IMG_2030.jpg

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

These seriously turned out nicer than I ever expected, I am simply blown away! Kudos to you Axsepul! This man is a true artist!

thanks!! way better picture :D

Latest posts

Back