Escaped Convict (Done)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aaron, here's the pics of the bike from Gotavan. Don't know much about it but it looks like it had a Schwinn headbadge at one time.
Whitestraightbar001.jpg

Whitestraightbar003.jpg

Chainsaw that bike could well be similar to what mine originally was.

Kingpin (Love that avatar by the way) I think it's going 20 front and 24 rear. With apes and a banana seat if I can find or make one.

Aaron

OK despite the inquiries into swapping frames on this I am sticking with the original. I picked up this today at Walmart for $30 plus tax... close out item.

0003867534188_500X500.jpg

I now have a fork, wheels, tires, possibly bars, fenders, and who knows what else. Reinvigorated I spent 1.5 hours scrubbing the 3 layers of paint off with a scotch brite pad and carb cleaner. Cheap spray bomb paint bubbles right up with Carb Cleaner. Then I hand sanded the original factory paint off... it was Maroon. Only markings on bike were D 6034 on the drop out. Will start painting soon. I will either go with black and white stripes like a prison jumpsuit, or make the frame look like faux granite blocks in keeping with my "prison" theme.

Great donor! I'm glad you're hanging in with your original selection. Your bike has sooooo much potential. I like the prison theme, lots of cool stuff you can do. How about a ball and chain anti theft device?

That first pic in your more configs. looks very interesting. How aboot a fixie classic, it does have the dropouts you need. I'm thinking black frame granite everything else. An escaped convict has to be fast, or at least look fast. lol

My serial # is D 6034 which if it is a Schwinn places it as a 57' I think.

I primed and painted the frame today flat black. Will let it cure and do the white stripes. It will end up with a black and white striped (like a Zebra) frame and I may do the fenders in the faux granite. The ball and chain idea is cool.

Aaron

Nope I have a coaster hub. Another cool idea though. Truth be told I will not be fabricating much on this. Lack of time. (OK that's a lie total lack of talent is more like it.)

Prepare to horrified......

I painted and assembled the bike today.

I had to use the Wally World Crank as the bearing race threads on the original were stripped. Sprocket is horrid looking, I will try to find one I like. My intention is to go with a banana seat and sissy bar but threw the Wal-Mart bike seat on for now. Wheels are not very true (big surprise) and there is a lot more things to tinker around with. Right now I don't like the fenders. That may change. I need to get a chain. Anyway.. enough talk...

IMG_0002-3.jpg

Aaron

That picture is bad, sorry. For some reason it looks huge in front of the board tracker but trust me it is tiny. Without a banana seat I'll probably have great difficulty riding it. May have to recruit the boy... he'll be devasted I'm sure.

Wow, that's a bold statement! Not bad looking at all, I don't think anyone will be horrified around here, unless you stripped and painted a mint 50's Phantom, and even then it probably wouldn't be unanimous.

OK I can't afford a springer front but the Hawethorn did have a cool set of truss rods. So... A quick clean up, prime and paint, and a bit of a tweak.. (gentle bend as it were) and we now have a cooler front end. My 6 year old likes it anyway !!!

Dayton.jpg

Truss.jpg

My neighbor says it looks like the bike Beetlejuice had. Now I have to go search for that. Didn't occur to me I was making a BeetleJuice bike. Still plan to make some sort of tank insert with Maine Dept. of Corrections on it. Also want a cool old metal 6V Falshlight to mount to the truss rods. Still looking for a banana seat.

Aaron

Told you it was small bike, my 6 yo is small for his age too. Those wheels are 24".

Aaron

Latest posts

Back