Show us your Vintage Raleighs!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heres my 69
015-31.jpg

014-34.jpg

001-49.jpg

Ohhh mannn...you guys are killin' me.

Thats a nice Hercules. I should find a shifter like that for my old raleigh. I think the one on mines a replacement, it says Wicocycle and has a white cable. if anyone has one of them shifters let me know.

We were a Raleigh dealer back in the late 1960's and early 70's. Was good friends with their S.E. Sales Manager Richard Nosti. Sold a ton of Choppers and Tourist and Records. I had a Professional MkIV that I rode some. Sold it and still wish I had it back!

The only commonly green Raleighs are The Superbe and raliegh twenty, it's more rare for any other model to be green I find the 70's sports I noticed there where alot of brown ones, i've had alot that color

I've had a bunch of Raleighs. I love them. At the moment, I'm down to 4 and a Nottingham Phillips. Here they are plus some of the highlights from my flipping days.
This is the all time favorite, it's a 70 Super Course with parts from a dozen other bikes. I'll probably keep it forever. I keep taking it apart and putting it back together in different ways and it's great no matter how you set it up.
IMG_7149.jpg

This is a 73 Competition that I bought from the original owner just before the last blizzard. I might get to ride it in a couple of months.
IMG_7768.jpg

Oops, gotta run, I'll post more when I get back.

Ok, I'm back. I just wrote a nice long post with lots of attachments and then accidentally deleted it. :(
Where was I? Oh, there's this thing. It was built in the Carlton factory around 1966. It's not 531 but it has chrome lugs. Might be a Rapide.
IMG_7040.jpg

It'll look closer to this when I'm done.
IMG_6255.jpg

I had a shiny DL-1 for a while.
IMG_3285.jpg

I got bored, though and ratted out an old rust bucket that I found.
IMG_6916-1.jpg

I picked up this sad looking Nottingham Phillips. It's supposed to look like a Sports but I put it back together with different parts.
IMG_7036.jpg

IMG_6968.jpg

IMG_7039.jpg

Oh, I almost forgot these two Sports. They're mostly parted out but they're free for the asking and postage. I've got other parts, some for free, some for a little money.
IMG_7782.jpg

IMG_7780.jpg

Then theres the ghosts of Raleighs past. This is a '28 Golden Arrow. I traded it to a friend who put modern wheels on it and gave me back the originals. I've had them on about 6 other bikes but I think they'll stay on the black Phillips.
IMG_7935.jpg

IMG_7807.jpg

This was one of the bikes he traded me for it. It's a '49 Sport.
IMG_1367.jpg

This was an 80s MTB. It wasn't made in England but it was still pretty nice.
IMG_3588.jpg

Here's a '59 Birmingham Phillips. It's pre merger and has Phillips chainring, Phillips pedals and Phillips grips.
IMG_3553-1.jpg

IMG_3556-1.jpg

IMG_3558-1.jpg

The fenders are not the usual Raleigh pattern things either.
IMG_3555-1.jpg

And here's a '59 Hector. It looks a lot like a Birmingham Phillips to me.
IMG_6889.jpg

IMG_6888.jpg

IMG_6892.jpg

IMG_6894.jpg

And here's a '67 "The James" that I'll be flipping when the snow goes away. Doesn't look like a Raleigh but it claims to be made in England.
IMG_7791.jpg

IMG_7792.jpg

Here's how to put your Raleigh together.
IMG_6880.jpg

IMG_6882.jpg

IMG_6881.jpg

IMG_6879.jpg

Here's a few things to look out for while shopping. Some early 70s bikes, maybe from the Gazelle factory had flip flop hubs.
IMG_6617.jpg

I've run across a couple of "Terry" saddles. They're sorta like vinyl, sorta like painted canvas. They haven't been made in years but I don't think they're really collectable yet.
IMG_6890.jpg

Original rubber is always cool.
IMG_4959-1.jpg

So are quadrant shifter. The knob isn't original.
IMG_7830.jpg

And finally, here's some random eye candy.
IMG_3289.jpg

IMG_3267.jpg

IMG_3791.jpg

IMG_7042.jpg

IMG_3284.jpg

IMG_3290.jpg

IMG_3289.jpg

1106101618a.jpg

Great idea for a thread, H. Thanks for your patience while I rambled on there.

Wow, a lot more of Birmingham's finest that I would have expected here! Raliegh is one brand I don't have. But, I do have a New Hudson that was likely made by them. 26" with rod brakes, bougt it from Flying Dingo a couple years ago, and haven't got around to doing anything with it. -Adam

After looking at the Golden arrow it makes me wonder if thats what My raleigh is, it has the same bars on it and the style looks the same. crank arms and brake leavers too, mine may be a deluxe version due to lighting

That GA was hard to part with. It felt better going to a friend. He's put lots and lots of miles on it, way more than I ever would.
They just started making repro bars like that. I think it was Nitto or Soma. I'll look that up. They weren't really comfortable on a bike that was too small for me to begin with.
Sean, you still have one of the coolest Raleighs out there.
Ben

My thoughts with replacing parts on an old bike with modern parts is not to good. lol unless you keep all old parts and put back on later.
My biggest problem with my raleigh is if I lock it up and come back and the bars are missing. I know alot of people want those, but i'm never to far from it!
The Bars look very bice on these old bikes, the headlamp makes it look that much better. mine takes this weird size of battery thats nolonger around to. or dyno hub power, I just recently got a replacement rear light assembly, it's hard to find them that old sometimes.

It's an interesting ride though, when your riding it, theres alot of flex in the forks. it's also alot faster then most other 3 speeds i've owned, only reason why the bars are flipped is because frames to small. with them flipped it fits way better. I think i'm the perfect owner for it to, it gets well maintained and never sees Rain and is now sleeping under my bed for winter. lol

Hsean said:
Hmm KZ1000 thems some nice ones, it's to bad the green two are in that condition, that color of that model are much harder to find. I dig the black sports. it looks new lol

Funny you say that. Nearly every Raleigh 3 Speed I've ever seen in person is that color green.

Hsean said:
Big piece of junk. looks neat but the quality was not.
100_1810.jpg

Love rod brake Raleighs/Rudges/Hercules/ etc.

Color could also be due to where people live maybe. To us the holy grail of Raleigh sports is the Gold color, thats something you only see once in a while

Latest posts

Back