Scrap Yard Bicycles Movie

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the fall of 2010, I thought it would be cool to document visits to and from the scrap yard and the bicycles that are found there.

Bike brands including Schwinn, Trek and Specialized are all part of the business... Also a couple of rat bikes. 8)

This "documentary" is over 9 minutes long, so please allow a few moments for it to load.

I'm an 18 year old kid from Michigan so don't make fun of my video making or editing skills... Plus, the camera doesn't have zoom. :lol:

Enjoy. :mrgreen:

http://img202.imageshack.us/my.php?image=9r5.mp4

Very cool vid. I was doing that for a while , and kept seeing three and four hundred dollar bikes turn up. Got to realizing the scrap pickers might be stealing bikes to add to their pile , and decided it might be risky to flip bikes that have a kinda unknown history. :oops:

Uncle Stretch said:
Got to realizing the scrap pickers might be stealing bikes to add to their pile , and decided it might be risky to flip bikes that have a kinda unknown history. :oops:

Scary. I've never ran across a bike from the scrap yard that was perfect (flat tires, rusted chains, no chains, etc. are commonplace) so I think I'm safe but yeah, if it's too good to be true it probably is.

schwinnmesa said:
Uncle Stretch said:
Got to realizing the scrap pickers might be stealing bikes to add to their pile , and decided it might be risky to flip bikes that have a kinda unknown history. :oops:

Scary. I've never ran across a bike from the scrap yard that was perfect (flat tires, rusted chains, no chains, etc. are commonplace) so I think I'm safe but yeah, if it's too good to be true it probably is.
Just a scenario to think about ,and this is how it could play out. Somebody around your neighborhood gets his bike stolen. He rides around looking for it thinking its some kid that took it. He sees your house with a bunch of bikes. He goes home and calls the police. They come to your house , and their first question is "Do you have a receipt for these bikes" You say man I bought them from the scrap place. They load up everything that you can't show a receipt for. I stood there watching guys unload old metal and bikes . I realized when the guy was throwing away a bike that was worth more than the truck he brought it in, that there might be a problem. I tried to justify that somebody decided to pitch a $500 roadbike , because the tires were flat and it was taking up too much room in their garage. Document you finds.

Very cool video you have the knack! People toss stuff that you couldent imagine. I've riddin by people on trash day and picked up bikes that I would have paid for the people just wanted space and knew some one would pick them up and use them. Now with the metal collectors running around they may not get into the hands of a user. Good work recycling and on the video.

Uncle Stretch said:
schwinnmesa said:
Uncle Stretch said:

Just a scenario to think about ,and this is how it could play out. Somebody around your neighborhood gets his bike stolen. He rides around looking for it thinking its some kid that took it. He sees your house with a bunch of bikes. He goes home and calls the police. They come to your house , and their first question is "Do you have a receipt for these bikes" You say man I bought them from the scrap place. They load up everything that you can't show a receipt for. I stood there watching guys unload old metal and bikes . I realized when the guy was throwing away a bike that was worth more than the truck he brought it in, that there might be a problem. I tried to justify that somebody decided to pitch a $500 roadbike , because the tires were flat and it was taking up too much room in their garage. Document you finds.

I understand. I keep all proofs of purchases and record serial numbers (and make sure they're not scratched off). The thing is, it's the North and people junk anything. It's understandable. If I have no bike mechanical skills and I have an old bike in the basement that has something wrong with it that I can't fix, I'm going to get some cash by scrapping it. It's fast and easy. Now, with some mechanic know-how and a bunch of parts and tools in a pole barn, I value bikes much higher since I've been there and done that and know what I'm in for. To someone living in an apartment or in the city with no tools or parts, this value is nonexistent and therefore scrapping bikes for cash is for the win. I'm careful. I've never had a day where I came home from the scrap yard with a bike ready to ride (some need air in the tires and others are broken).

Finding a $500 road bike is beyond me, but I would love to hear your stories (the condition, brand, etc.).

HotRodRob said:
Great job on the video Zach!
Rat Rod said:
Great video!!! :D
You've got mad editing skillz!
XC204 said:
Very cool video you have the knack! People toss stuff that you couldent imagine. I've riddin by people on trash day and picked up bikes that I would have paid for the people just wanted space and knew some one would pick them up and use them. Now with the metal collectors running around they may not get into the hands of a user. Good work recycling and on the video.
Thanks guys!

Great video Zach 8) At 1:55 what size are those whitewall tires :?: Cool lookin' dog too :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Uncle Stretch said:
schwinnmesa said:
Uncle Stretch said:

true but i know some pretty stupid people that would chuck a $1500 carbon fiber road bike if there wife or girlfriend made them :mrgreen:

great vid :) ,when i was watchin it i thought this looks like a michigan rd.i was in dearborn for a few years and drove a delivery truck all over mi.funny.

Great Video!

I laughed at the Mike Wolf dig! LOL

Great video!

I would have enjoyed it even if my coppertone Continental wasn't in it.

Latest posts

Back