good clear

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody discovered a clear that worked real good? The ones I have used before seem to dull the color when you put it on.

I've had decent luck with Rustoleum's clear, but you have to wet sand your color coats before you apply it or it dulls it out, I normally go 2 coats primer, 4 coats color, 3 coats clear wet sanding between each coat if I want a nice show finish, but for a ratty bike I'll just throw the prep work out the window and spray it like it's 4am in a dark alley..... :mrgreen:

I used that Duplicolor speck and it looks pretty good , just not real shiny. I hate to spray more of the speck ,because it will darken the color.

Ok Deorman you want to make me work for it huh? I'm going to do some darts , so I may wait a while and compound the whole thing. I just wanted to cheat and clear some shiny on it. :oops:

I like Rustoleum Crystal Clear Enamel - I put a one real wet coat over the color, just to the point of sagging.

Works for me.

my personal favorite is krylon gloss clear. i like to apply it before the last color coat has a chance to dry,using moderately heavy even passes. ive never had good luck with matte clears,as they tend to make the finish look slightly frosted! :(

rats arent supposed to be shiny! :lol: just kiddin, im a big fan of your work, and i actually prefer the shine myself. forget the brand, but the last clear i did i used dollar store clear cause it was the same brand as my paint and i was afraid to switch brands. looks good in the basement but i havent had it in the sun yet.

Thanks xray glad you like my builds .I kinda stuck it together and it really doesn't look bad. I may wait a week or so and then just compound it. I'm sure that will solve the problem.
DSCF0001.jpg

krylon triple thick crystal clear.

http://www.krylon.com/products/tripleth ... ear_glaze/
Bright, high-gloss finish looks like glass and gives the illusion of depth.

One coat equals three coats of most clear coatings
Permanent, protective extra high gloss finish
Non-firing glaze for polymer clay, bisque, plaster and more
Dry to Touch
15 minutes
Dry to Handle
4 hours
For use with
Wood, Metal, Wicker, Plastic, Glass, Plaster, Ceramic, Paper, Paper Mache, Dried/Silk Flowers.

The paint shop I use (my uncle's) uses Glasurit paint. He said it doesn't need clear coating if you don't want. Also they seem to mix clear into the paint depending on the brand of paint. But sanding is the key. Their paint guy can't seem to let go off what they paint without a whole lot of sanding. Even after I have the bike back home for a week, he'll call and ask that I bring it in for wet sanding touch-ups.

I have four frames now as projects and I'm investing in some gun and airtank - not because I wanna stop using their services, but I want the freedom to play with masking.

Anyway, everyone seems to agree on the Glasurit brand. Expensive but long lasting.

Looks great from where I'm sitting, I'd try some polish or buffing compound on it and call it a day. Love the fat tires front and back, and the way the seat tube hugs the tire, looks nice.

texasbigjon said:
my personal favorite is krylon gloss clear. i like to apply it before the last color coat has a chance to dry,using moderately heavy even passes. ive never had good luck with matte clears,as they tend to make the finish look slightly frosted! :(

I use Krylon on all of my frames, made the mistake of grabbing Matte finish when I was in a hurry and screwed up a frame when I sprayed it on.

Krylon gloss...

sophomoreyear079.jpg

gashuffy63 said:
texasbigjon said:

I use Krylon on all of my frames, made the mistake of grabbing Matte finish when I was in a hurry and screwed up a frame when I sprayed it on.

Krylon gloss...

sophomoreyear079.jpg

OK, you got to tell us how you did what is UNDER the clear.

Uncle Stretch said:
Anybody discovered a clear that worked real good? The ones I have used before seem to dull the color when you put it on.
I use this:
IMG_1072cc.jpg

And yes, OVER enamel. and yes it says on painting sites you should not paint laquer over eneamel. But It seems laquer is harder than enamel and after testing w/ alot of patience and actually following directions it work great for me. After my final spray of color paint [all spray can mind you] I'll it set for around 3 or 4 days to cure [putting my frame in side at night bring it out side every morning.Then I spray a VERY LIGHT COAT or mist it. let it dry as directions [iff my impatience gets me i'll hit witha heat gun from a foot or so away], constantly looking for the dreaded wrinkle. It will look Nogood...patience my friend, patience. so after a couple of days a medium coat [things will be looking up][ again I'll hit w/ a heat gun this helps to stop the process of the laquer softening up the enamel and creating wrinkle. After a few more days I apply a thick coat, and this should look like glass. It should dry after a few more days, and look really clear annd shiney. Like its still wet! here is some examples [* This is what I do... I'm not saying this IS the way. Its what I do.] :mrgreen:
IMG_1028c.jpg

IMG_1030c.jpg

IMG_1170c.jpg

IMG_1168c.jpg

IFF not try this
IMG_1073cc.jpg

Just keep puting a lot of coats. I personally don't think its as shiney as laquer
ok I;ve said enough i;m going back to my laboratory. :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back