The Newborn Controversy...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK...

i know i said i wasnt participating, but i cant sit idly by...
i had too much fun last time, and really enjoyed my conversations with Kev...

the meaning behind the name of my thread is also why i wasnt going to participate...

my wife is pregnant with our first baby, and the due date is approx. the same as the build off deadline. so i may not be able to get it done in time
:wink:

the controversy is the same as last year... stripping original paint/patina :p

yes Kev, it will be repainted :cry:

here is my victim:

harvardbike.jpg

prewar schwinn? elgin? postwar? i dont know...

it's an old bike with skiptooth drive

oct. :p

xddorox said:
Good thing you're in october, it would have been sad not to have you participate in this build off.

thanks Gerry!

are you familiar at all with Quebec City?

Oct.

Very schwinny

Post war DX is what you have. That kickstand by the way is a very hard to get item. It looks as though it tapers from top to bottom. If so, this is an early post war "pencil Tip"type. Congrats on the news of parenthood! Later & PEACE!!! :mrgreen:

october said:
serial number on bottom bracket = D55820

schwinn serial number list starts at August 18, 1948 first number is D92598. they had a fire in 1948 and all of the previous numbers were lost in the fire so all i can tell you is that your bike was made before the fire. the style frame that you have came out in 1946 so your bike is between that. i would guess that it was made in early 1948. the curved bottom bar means its a DX

thanks slick rick, and goldz for the serial info... :)

the frame is just about stripped! just needs washing... hopefully prime it tomorrow :wink:

oct.

xddorox said:
Yeah I know Quebec city a bit, but I haven't been there in a while.

we are going there in a couple of weeks... just wondering if there was anything we shouldnt miss while we are there.

i got the frame stripped, and primed...

DSC02730.jpg

stripped the seat pans down and removed as much rust as i could...
i used one of those 3M drill discs, like the one Fast Eddie is licking,
i didn't lick mine though... :p

DSC02733.jpg

oct.

Latest posts

Back