I bet the bike scene in your area isn't as lame as here.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoothgeye

I build stuff.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Just try and beat just how lame the bike scene is here in Roanoke Rapids, NC. Right on Interstate 95, just 10 miles or less from the Virginia border. Our bike scene is LAME!

9 out of 10 bikes on the road is a Wal-Mart special, and that's if you can find 10 bikes on the road any given day. Our bike shop knows nothing about bikes and quit selling bikes due to not wanting to compete with Wal-Mart. They also are closed on Mondays and the other days of the week they only open after 12... if they even open.

We are technically in the Eastern NC Craigslist area, thought you will hardly ever see a Roanoke Rapids listing. In the past week there have been 33 ads posted in the bike section of our list, and 10 of those ads were not for bicycles.

Anyway, just venting. I regularly visit other craigslists that are about 80-100 miles away just to see their daily bike ads surpass our weekly ads.

Lame.

cheer up yoothgeye. :D
hey i live in san bernardino, southern california.
your not alone, in my neighborhood theres not too much bike action, it is considered the ghetto...so i guess alot of ppl cant afford a bike, or just simply choose to walk, since i started riding around here i do notice people on bikes though not too many, mostly homeless...yeah weird homeless people on bikes..and even they ride wal :D mart bikes.and now and again some kids on bmx bikes. it kind of sucks and i do get a lil jealous of some of the guys on this site :lol: , because they have riding buddies. :oops: most of the time i ride alone its cool and all but it be nice to have someone to ride with.

I live in Orillia, Ontario, Canada and let me tell you the "nice" bikes around here are lame. The "interesting" bikes are usually ridden by homeless guys. How they keep them going I have no idea. I saw one or two rat rod bikes during the car show this past summer but they have since disappeared. Hopefully wherever you are though some kid sees what you've done with your bike and want to do something like it. That's my hope here. Starting with converting my girlfriend to the "rat" side. 8)

yootheme said:
Just try and beat just how lame the bike scene is here in Roanoke Rapids, NC. Right on Interstate 95, just 10 miles or less from the Virginia border. Our bike scene is LAME!
9 out of 10 bikes on the road is a Wal-Mart special, and that's if you can find 10 bikes on the road any given day..

I know im still the new guy here, but I already laid claim to the lamest bike scene!?! :D

I live in a place that at one time had the most millionaires, the most boats to people ratio (closest lake is 3 hours. coast is 15) the lowest unemployment in the state, the state with the lowest unemployment, a desert town 3 hours away from the next town, and a public transit system that wasn't implemented until a few years ago. When I dumpster dive alls I find are Walmarts, 90's cheap chick bikes and that one KOS... seriously there's almost a social stigma when you see people walking, riding a bike or a bus around here.

Dont rob me of my sad story :D

there's actually a pretty big riding scene here in louisville, ky., but not much in the way of customs, beyond the ocassional lowrider bike. those i mostly see if i go to a car show, and they don't much look rideable anyway.

i've only seen one other stretch custom, a trike at a hardware store one of the employees owned. beyond that it's serious bikers, casual bikers i've been seeing along the riverwalk trail and hipster types in the trendy part of town. i have to admit though, i'm not a big "out and about" person.

now that i have a truck i've been taking my favorite stretch down to the riverwalk and riding there and out through the park it ends at. i usually get fairly positive comments on it. and i'm half planning to do the next mayors hometown bike ride (if they continue, got a new mayor now) next spring so i'd be amoung a whole cross section of city riders. maybe i'll see customs i've been missing, or generate some custom interest myself.

There's a great bike scene here in Dayton, Ohio...ONLY IF YOU WEAR SPANDEX AND LOOK LIKE EVERY OTHER WANKER ON A BIKE! I feel your pain... I am the only one that rides a cruiser around here. TICKS ME OFF TO NO END. I have even posted cl ads looking for others to ride with, and maybe try and a get a crew/club started and do weekly, bi-weekly, or even monthly rides...but to no avail. Frustrating. I hate this town. :x
(We do have great trails though)

This is what every town in America should be like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDlD4gJmw9M

Amsterdam is where it's at.

Yeah my town's not great, nobody thinks about rat bikes, my LBS only caters to fixies and $1,000 + mountain bikes. The shop owner said the cheapest bike he owns was $1,900. Real snobby guy. Few BMX riders here and a few of the recumbent crowd. I just ride mine alone. On the upside we do have some decent bike trails and a brand new skate and bike park with some cool things to ride on like the 90 degree full pipe!

39822_1515852172548_1121769160_2592660_4257680_n.jpg
Not a Wal-Mart bike, but a K-Mart one. :D Any bike can be cool if you make it that way. Don't hate.

It's all about population and being in the right place.

I have a route I ride regularly that goes out East Fork Road. I can go out that way and may see a couple of other guys on road bikes out riding. But, in the rest of Garland, I will see Zero- it's either guys on Walmart Hobocycles or nothing.

I can ride from my house to White Rock Lake in Dallas. Over around the lake, I will see dozens of cyclists out. Get more than a mile from it, back in my direction, and zero.

In either case, if I miss those little areas, I'll just assume adults don't ride bikes around here. And if I get in those areas, it's a different perception.

Lame is where you find it.
Way to many hipsters,yuppies,fixie snobs and guys asking insane prices on bikes on Craigslist here in NYC. Rat bikes are few and far apart. A junk bike in a dumpster is virtually non existant because of the amount of people scrapping. A few pockets of cool bike folks in Brooklyn ,Long Island and a few other semi near by spots.
The city put bike paths in all 5 boroughs but people think it's some new kind of express lane to pass a bus on the right. If the impatient drivers don't kill you the pot holes just might.
In Indiana,California,Texas ,New york or where ever you call home I guess we all wish the rat rod bike scene was bigger. Maybe someday it will be. :lol: :

Here in small mid-west town USA, it's about the same. Mostly wal-mart MTBs and BMXs, and those weird realy tall bikes that the yuppies cruise, I have no idea what they are! Once in a while, I'll see someone riding an old balloner and I've also seen a Whizzer. So I do draw some looks riding a 9ft buritto or my 3 wheeled Hammerhead! I do have the fun of being called "The Bike Guy" but there are other builders here, they just don't ride as much as I do. Almost everyone likes the bikes I ride and even say they'd like to get one, but they usualy don't. It's like they see the light, but won't go to it!

Not a Wal-Mart bike, but a K-Mart one. :D Any bike can be cool if you make it that way. Don't hate.

It's not what it WAS, it's what you make it.

PA210156.jpg

BrunneCustoms said:
The "interesting" bikes are usually ridden by homeless guys.

Aw, c'mon! How can you be homeless in Canada? It's winter 10 months of the year. Do they live in igloos built on the sidewalk? :p Gary

B607 said:
BrunneCustoms said:
The "interesting" bikes are usually ridden by homeless guys.

Aw, c'mon! How can you be homeless in Canada? It's winter 10 months of the year. Do they live in igloos built on the sidewalk? :p Gary

If they did that, they wouldn`t be homeless... :lol:

SSG said:
I search the same Eastern NC and Raleigh craigslists as you, I feel your pain. Some nice overpriced wallyworld and 70's road bikes though :mrgreen:

Where do you live that you're searching here? I look alot at Richmond, mostly a fixie crowd here, but I'd just like to be around people that ride that aren't in middle school.

There is a mountain bike club starting up that rides the canal trail once a week, I'm just to busy to meet at their times.

Yeah I hate snobby riders, We got a group of riders here that I found on the net, It said ALL are welcome, I get to the meet point and it's all fixies and high dollar stuff and they say what is that?...... like my Hercules was going to fall apart and cause a 50 bike pile-up. I decided to ride the trail anyway and passed half of their fixies. I love being the fat guy on a Hercules board-tracker passing the spandex clad fixie army. Seat has been swapped for a spring type since these pics.

P9170013.jpg

P9170014.jpg

I've been trying to get up a group to ride in our local Christmas parade this year. Even offered to furnish them a ride! Haven't got any takers yet.

cashman said:
I've been trying to get up a group to ride in our local Christmas parade this year. Even offered to furnish them a ride! Haven't got any takers yet.

This is where our lameness starts to fade a little. The guy who started the bike shop passed away this year, he use to dress as a clown and ride his penny farthing in the parade, I don't see his sons doing this in his stead. I was talking to someone in church about my desire to build a tall bike and they said to talk to a member of my youth group who rides tall bikes in the parade with his dad. Come to find out, one of my students grandfathers builds tall bikes! When I asked him about it recently and told him about a bike I was planning he said if I build a crazy bike I could ride with them in the parade. I started prepping my frame, getting together wheels (at least 4) and picked up some steel yesterday.

Latest posts

Back